1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hanging Startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by warhawkhalo101, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warhawkhalo101

warhawkhalo101 Thread Starter

Yep - title says it all... I try to start up, and it doest freeze, but it hangs after I type in my password, I can move the mouse, but my busy light blinks in controlled blinks... either way, It just did this after I removed some old nForce chipset drivers, then reinstalled them. I used DriverCleaner, and updated to my motherboard's latest drivers. My mother board is a MSI K8N Neo4-F (Socket 939)... AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 2gb ram, XFX 7900GS XXX Edition... yep... any suggestions before I backup drivers and files and reformat?

I have to restart the computer a few times to get it to get past the login screen, and the nVidia BIOS screen will change font sizes, but not by much, after every other restart... But everything runs smooth when I start in safe mode...

Also - Once I turn the computer on, the busy light is going on full, all the way untill windows gets to the login screen...

UPDATE: Loads have not been as slow, but I cant still log in, unless in safe mode.

2. warhawkhalo101

warhawkhalo101 Thread Starter

Alright - Windows now loads, but during the CoreCell load and BIOS, the busy light is constantly on, and the load is slower than usual... I did a virus check, and spyware - came up clean. I am beginning to wonder if it is the CPU, seeing as it freezes sometimes, usually when I press the shutdown option in Windows... I reverted back a few days before I did anything to the computer, and it is still doing it, but at least it loads now...

If this is any correlation, the busy light has a faint glow on constantly, even running at 0%... I checked the wiring but it is fine. My graphics card is calling for more power, even though its on a 450w... and I was overclocking before this happened - thats why I am wondering if it is the CPU... but I can play games just fine, make music, memtest came clean... maybe its just windows, idk...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/547249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice