Hanging up for 2-10 seconds, as if computer is stuttering

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DJ_Buterfly

I have music playing 24/7 on this PC, so "stuttering" is what I hear when my computer hangs up.
It used to just straight up crash on me, but now it actually restores, and here's the odd highlights .. copied and pasted from a IM conversation:
completely frozen, any audio that was playing sounds like machine gun fire (stuttering) and all inputs .. mouse/keyboard stop, but it repeats the last clicked keyboard key 2-3 times if i'm typing as it happens.
but it comes out of it... that's what's odd, normally .. that is a freeze/crash, but for me .. it's just a blip & then it resumes like nothing happened.
file downloading/transfering over the network, my shoutcast stream while DJing .. not an interuption at all
and this 'stutter' will last anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds at total random, and i've done everything i can think of to isolate what it causing it

Windows XP Professional SP2
Quad Core Intel 2.4GHz (I think the EE6600) **
EVGA nVidia 680i SLI MOBO
BFG nVidia 8800 GTX OC2
4GB DDR2 RAM // 800 speed

** I have my computer overclocked to 3.128 right now.. default is 2.401
The overclocking is NOT the cause of this issue, I have set it to default, and even replaced the motherboard, the overclocking is not the cause of this issue, so don't jump me on it. It's been completely stable under 20min. stress tests at significantly higher than it's clocked at now, yet this 'stuttering' still happens at random, and rarely it does crash my computer.

Any suggestions?

I've provided the most basic details, I can give more info if need-be, but I don't want to spam out a 3 page post right now.

DJ_Buterfly

got a software for that, or are you refering to the boot-up memory test? The one at boot up shows no problem, and I've used different memory before, had no effect.. same speed memory though.

DJ_Buterfly

*bump*
Issue happen at total random, anywhere from every 5min. to once in a whole day.

DJ_Buterfly

*bump*
I seem to be crashing frequently now, rather than just the freezing.

DJ_Buterfly

so far memory test is coming up with nothing at all, will run a few instances of it overnight, let it check the whole system.. right now i'm running it while i do my normal activities

DJ_Buterfly

Okay.. issue still exists, I did get a blue screen during one crash, it lasted less than a second, I *think* the code was ..0009C, but I only saw a flash of it.
Memory testing says no issues with the memory @ 15 hours of testing.
I have randomly been getting an error message from windows saying "System registry is full, all new requests will be ignored" ~ something along those lines. What exactly is the System Registry? I can't imagine that's the same thing as Start > Run > 'regedit' ..because that registry has about 1/4 of what my laptop has in it.
MS Paint (C:\windowns\system32\mspaint.exe), when I ctrl Printscreen to capture a screenshot to paste: Error getting Clipboard Data! - I have searched this error message with no luck to an answer. This is a new problem since posting this initial post.

DJ_Buterfly

Paint: There is not enough memory or resources to complete operation. Close some programs, and then try again.
[OK]

DJ_Buterfly

still fighting with this thing, i did another memory test, turned the overclocking off and set it back to defaults, only difference is system runs slower. The lockups still happen, as do the crashes.
I knew already it wasn't the overclocking.

The motherboard is brand new as well. I used to think it was caused by some system intense programs of mine, but no .. they're not a cause either. I can not seem to isolate the problem.

But as stated in posts above, I am having new issues & unknown at this time if they're related.

I'm really quite stumped on this, I've checked everything and not a single thing comes up with errors.. the memory testing, check disk, bios memory testing, stability testing, and it all passes with flying colours.

I have these exact same problems as you. Random stuttering, not pinned to any specific program or time. It could be when I wake up and just turn the computer on, to having it on for 14 hours watching a movie. Stuttering occurs in games, when typing documents, when drawing, even when just idling.

Intel core 2 duo 2.4ghz
2*1gb corsair DDR2 memory (Can't get exact name)
nVidia 8800GTX Graphics card
Running XP Pro sp2

At first i thought it was overheating, so I replaced the heatsink (no, I didn't forget thermal paste) and used some compressed air and cleaned everything out. The temps ran well, and it still stuttered. After clearing out my hard drive, using TuneUp to defrag and scan the hard drive, fix registry errors, and scanning for any viruses/malicious programs and the likes, it STILL continues to stutter.

As of now, I think it could be my hard drive, as it's gotten a bit louder in the past few weeks, and sometimes whirrs extremely loudly. It's 5-6 years old, so it could be the problem, but I'm not too sure.

Would love some feedback, like DJ, about this. Everyone I've talked to, mostly computer lovers, are dumbfounded and can't pinpoint the problem, either. I'm about to just do a full restore, but DJ had admitted that doing that himself didn't fix anything.

Thanks in advance

DJ_Buterfly

It's not the HDD's, and like you said... it's not heating, cause I have the default nVidia 8800 built-on fan and heat sink and such, i went and modified it with an additional cooling unit that attaches to the heat sink with fan based cooling to help cool it down, this helped by 10*C under idle, and about 5-7C under stress. I have a fan blowing air between all my HDD's to keep them from doing the oven effect to each other, i have a fan for the RAM, and everything else is liquid cooled.

There's no source that I can find, I thought that it was being caused by my games i play (Second Life // Vanguard: Saga of Heroes) since i noticed it when i was playing them the most, but after leaving my computer on overnight with nothing but SAM4 radio broadcaster (sys-tray minimized). The thing about Vanguard and Second Life is Vanguard is DirectX while Second Life is OpenGL. And then for it to stutter like a skipping record during normal computer use and sometimes lead to a crash .. I can't pinpoint it to the video card. Absolutely nobody has a clue what the issue is.

DJ_Buterfly

Oh, and a note to add, I've used different RAM, this motherboard is replaced (and issue still persists), I've used different CPU, I've used a different HDD's, I've used no soundcard, I've used different power supply, I've even used a different CD drive.. I've exchanged EVERY single piece of this computer to include reinstalling Windows in order to troubleshoot it. It can't be a hardware piece incompatible with another, I've swapped out EVERYTHING to try to find a specific faulty part with no luck. Even the wires, I've replaced them all.

Now.. here's something odd, for the last couple weeks with the same as the last several months of stuttering, it's been doing it less frequently.. a lot less, but .. it does still continue to do it. And I can put processor + Video + RAM all under full load for hours and it won't crash, nor will it invoke a stutter, though a stutter did happen in the middle of a full load test before and the computer and the program was completely oblivious that it happened, it was like putting a Virtual Machine on pause, the data is all frozen, then resumed, like nothing happened.

DJ_Buterfly

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\
Mini021808-01.dmp 88.0kb
Mini051008-01.dmp 96.0kb
Mini052408-01.dmp 96.0kb
Mini052508-01.dmp 96.0kb
Mini052608-01.dmp 96.0kb
Mini053108-01.dmp 96.0kb
Mini060508-01.dmp 96.0kb

there's been a *lot* more crashes than this list displays.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online