Hangs at "Checking NVRAM" in Gigabyte MB

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rayi23

Hello. I have a Gigabyte GA-7ZX rev 1.01 with a Dual BIOS. After I switched processors from a 700 to 800mhz, I started to have problems. I switched them around again but it just hangs at "Checking NVRAM" and will not go beyond that. I tried reinserting the memory, as well as the Video card. I cannot enter the BIOS. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

Good Evening Ray, Those Ga7zx boards were really reliable, I used quite a few and the later dash series as well.
Usually it indicates "no NV ram" if you are using standard PC-133 type and proceeds past that point.
In that you have changed processors, you may need to reset your BIOS for the new processor. I usually fitted Durons in those boards and was very impressed with them. I never experienced your described problem but suspect it would involve the processor change. I will see if I can find the manual and see what is involved with clearing the BIOS. Some of them have a special procedure, my memory fails me if these are involved.
I will repost.
Cheers, qldit.

rayi23

Hi. Thanks for taking the time but for some reason it started up this morning. I did remove the battery initially but it didn't work at first. So I guess I'm back again. One other odd thing is that I cannot install WinXP on this machine. I was able to install Win200Pro easily. You do run into machines that will not work with WinXP for some reason. Sometimes it a simple matter of changing the Video card but some will not work. I even updated the BIOS. I find this machines just lying around and try to get them to work. 800mhz should be good enough to get XP going.

Good Morning Ray, just as well, I can't seem to find the manual for it, I know I had a couple I kept!!
When you remove the battery, the circuit generally has a capacitive element that allows a stored charge to remain that often will allow the settings to remain valid for periods in excess of a quarter hour or so. To overcome this, it is best to remove the battery then place a conductive object across the contacts of the vacated battery holder for a minute or so. This action depletes any stored voltage out of the system. There are other instances where circuits may be diode protected and even this may not work, so never bet your "short and curlies" on it.
I have never had any problems whatsoever installing W-XP on those boards.
The 800 should be well in operational range. From memory I fitted various processors from Duron900s, through to Athlon1900s on those boards, never had one come back!
You might try running memtest86, that will do a good test on your memory.
You do have enough memory fitted for XP?
I can't imagine what could cause xp not to install with it.
qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online