Solved Hangs on Q code Ad

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

minimustangs

My son built his first PC.

Ryzen 9, Asus Strix X570gE gaming
Bios 3602, a pair of Samsung 970 1Tb nvme... Thats all i can recall of the top of my head. 32gb ram, unsure of brand ir speed.

Called me with the above error message and no boot, just a black acreen. (oh, previously it had been working for several months)
Brought PC over and we had a look. Reloaded windows 10 (OS was fresh). Booted off installl media. Reboot and windows continues setup without issue. Shut machine down and off he goes. Gets home. Same message Q-code Ad.

Brings it over again and we go through the same routine. Except adjusted UEFI bios setings to UEFI only. Reboot, reload windows. All good.

Reboot machine, power down shut off unplug at least a dozen times with various intervals for shut down Boots fine.

Thats PC home.... Q-code Ad.

I've never come across this before.

He has a brand new UPS and its saying output 121vac, stable.

No different hardware to speak of... A different keyboard and mousr, but thats it.

Stumped

crjdriver

Did he bring his ups over to your house also OR did you plug it directly into wall socket?

minimustangs

No he did not bring his UPS over. The first time he brought it over he was plugged into a power bar that was plugged into a UPS. The second time I think the same thing but can't swear to that right now.

crjdriver

Plug it directly into the wall. I looked up that code and all it says is ready to boot.
Do you have a bench or test pw supply that you can swap in for testing?

minimustangs

Yes, apparently that code refers to the BIOS handing off to the operating system. Keeps me thinking that the boot sector on the drive isn't finding the operating system. Doesn't explain why it works for an hour at my place, and then stops at his place. We've eliminated things like loose Ram, adapter cards, all of that. I don't have a spare Supply big enough for his computer.

crjdriver

Keeps me thinking that the boot sector on the drive isn't finding the operating system
No. If this were the case, you would receive a msg to reboot and select a proper boot device. You would not get just a black screen.

minimustangs

Had son reload his PC @ his place. Loads OS fine. Reboot as usual. Works as is should, several reboots without issue. Even disconnecting power for a while PC reboots. At one point though it behaves the same: hanging on Ad.

Frustrated, brings PC over here last night. I remove the (brand new) NVMe drive (this drive is one of 2 NMVe drives he has - both Samsung 1TB 970), and install an OCZ Vertex SSD SATA). Load OS, reboot, etc. This morning PC powers up without issue. Will continue random shut down and rebooting today to see if failure occurs.

crjdriver

Well see how it works with the other drive. I have two of those samsung drives here and have never had any problem with either of them.

minimustangs

Built a new Win10 USB stick. Used the MS tool to configure the UEFI details. For the last 4 hours, numerous reboots, seems to be working as it should. Powered off , and leaving that way for an extended time. Time, as they say, will tell...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online