1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Hangs while updating after Win7 reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ehbowen, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ehbowen

ehbowen Thread Starter

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 after a hardware change (motherboard). Please note that I am using a full retail version of Win7 which is not tied to specific hardware and which permits migrating to a new system. Also, I'm using this system for some specialty video capture hardware which does not function properly under W8 or W10, so upgrading is not a real possibility.

I had to start from scratch and install motherboard and graphics drivers, then install W7SP1. After installing SP1 I had the same screen which I have now: "Configuring Updates; 30% Complete; Do not turn off your computer." It appeared to be stuck at 30% all day while I was at work, but when I woke up the next morning it had finished installing SP1 successfully.

However, then it went into Windows Update. When I checked it I saw the message, "192 Critical Updates Installed Successfully. Windows needs to restart in order to finish installing updates." I went ahead and told it to restart. That was two days ago.

For over 48 hour now it has been showing that same screen, "Configuring Windows updates; 30% complete; Do not turn off your computer." How much more time do I need to give it?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How long did the installation of Windows 7 take? Have you tested the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostics to ensure it is not failing?

4. ehbowen

ehbowen Thread Starter

I do wish that I'd seen that install guide before I started; it would have been very helpful. I was ready to start over with a clean install of W7, but after I hit the reset switch and selected "Start Windows Normally" it progressed through startup and came up to the login screen. I then went into Windows Update and followed your advice for the order in which to install the different updates. I went through about four rounds of updating and rebooting, and after the most recent "Check for updates" I see, "Windows is up to date; there are no updates available for your computer." So, I'm going to mark this one "Solved."

Triple 6, I didn't run diagnostics on the hard drive as it's one which I had been using as a storage drive in another system with no problems for some time. The installation of Windows 7 from the original DVD went just fine; it was the installation of SP1 and the various updates which I had trouble with. However, it appears that everything is working fine now. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear the Windows 7 install and update guide helped you resolve your issue. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice