Happy Hanukkah!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

angelize56

Always remembered in our hearts
Happy Hanukkah to all our TSG Jewish friends...and a very special Happy Hanukkah to my dear friend JH! :)

poochee

I thought this was an interesting article.

So what is the correct way of spelling in English the Hebrew name of the ‘Festival of Lights’?

By Young Chang

http://www.JewishWorldReview.com | (KRT) Having pondered the question "What's up with all the different English spellings of Hanukkah?," we have one thing to say: Thank goodness Scrabble prohibits proper nouns.

The holiday is commonly spelled "Hanukkah," "Chanukah" and "Hanukah." Less familiar spellings include "Khanukah" and "Ckanukka."

You'd think there'd be a reason — historical references, regional differences, something, anything — to explain why one of the most oft-used words this time of year has more incarnations than there are candles (nine) on the menorah.

But the variations don't come from the Hebrew word — it's been the same for thousands of years. It means "dedication," referring to the rededication of the Holy Temple in Jerusalem temple in 164 B.C. E.

Hebrew scholars and even the most persnickety of English-language pundits concur: Spelling the word in English depends entirely on phonetic preference.

The "miracle of Hanukkah" refers to the story of the lamp flame that lasted eight days after the Maccabees reclaimed the desecrated Holy Temple from the Greeks. The Maccabees used what little olive oil they could find as they repaired and rededicated their temple — approximately one day's worth — but the flame persisted.

The question of how best to spell "Hanukkah" in English incites first a chuckle, then a pause, then something like: "That's a tricky one" from editors at Merriam Webster, the Associated Press Stylebook and even local rabbis.

"Every time I spell it, I think I spell it different," said Linda MacDonald, who is Jewish and works at Tree of Life Judaica and Books in Ravenna, Washinton.

Paul Burstein, a professor in the Jewish Studies Program at the University of Washington, says those proficient in Hebrew really don't care or insist on a single English spelling of "Hanukkah." It's the Hebrew spelling that matters.

Read the rest at: http://www.JewishWorldReview.com

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online