1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Har drive automatic sleep is a pain

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by amcgall, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amcgall

amcgall Thread Starter

First let me start by stating that I have ALL of the power settings in Windows 7 set to NEVER including the advanced power settings. Despite this, some of my 4 USB external hard drives and at least one of my internal SATA hard drives (I have 4) keeps going into a sleep mode. This is a big pain in the ***! It takes several seconds ... like upwards of 20 seconds for some of the drives to come out of sleep mode. It seems that the drives have an internal sleep mechanism unrelated to the operating system. This frequent sleeping and awakening puts more strain on the hard drives. Maybe the HD manufacturers planned this in order to sell more HDs after they crash from the undue strain.

Does anyone have a solution for turning off this obnoxious HD slep mode that is inate to the HD? Remember, I have all Windows 7 power options including advanced, set to NEVER.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

For the USB drives go into Device Manager, right click on the USB Root Hubs one at time, select Properties, select the Power Management tab. Uncheck the box next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

If that does not work (and for the internal drives) please supply the make and model number of all the drives. It would appear from Googling that some manufacturer's supply management software for their drives which may also help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice