1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harassment

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by goash, Oct 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goash

goash It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

Someone is sending me harrassing email. I have contacted the proper authorities. They say they have traced this email through the IP address and that it is being sent by someone at my own computer. This is not possible as I am the only user where the computer is housed in my home. Someone else said that the person sending the annoying messages could be using a re-router??? What is this and is it possible that my own computer is sending me these messages or at least appearing to do so?
    I have also received messages that by the IP address indicate they are from a good friend (who by the way was actually out of the country at the time they were sent). How is all this happening? How can I find out who actually is sending these messages?

2. rkselby98

rkselby98

Yes a lot of spammer use this tactic. They send the email but use someone else's email address.

I get a lot of spam email through Yahoo, that is why I use it, keeps my other email account clean and I contacted yahoo concerning this and they told me there is no way to trace this.

Now if there is they aren't taking the time to stop someone from using them as the email account which seems strange for I would think that they wouldn't want anyone sending email spam using them as the server.

So I really don't think the average person will trace it.

3. goash

goash It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me if using someone elses IP address (not email address) to send email is possible. Is this called re-routing? If so, how can I stop someone from using my IP address.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/99798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice