1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard disc Drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thumbolina, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thumbolina

thumbolina Thread Starter

I have 6 hard drives C,G,H,I,J,Z.

When I restarted my computer the "I" drive has disappeared. I tried to do restore system to get it back but got the message that the "I" drive has been turned off or removed.

How do I turn it back on or unremove it? Please somebody help me to get this "I" drive back.

Thanks

2. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

First thing to do is check the IDE Connector to MB and HDD and Power Connector HDD.

Unseat and Reseat them.

3. thumbolina

That sounds a bit techical to me, I don't know what this is "check the IDE Connector to MB and HDD and Power Connector HDD.". I'm thinking I might be best taking it to my computer shop but thnak you anyway. :)

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Are you saying you have 6 drives or 6 partitions? Obviously ide cannot have more than 4 so are some sata if you really have 6 drives?

5. thumbolina

I do have all these hard drives and use them all. I also have another hard drive which I keep right away from the computer in a box with a ghost of the operating system on it so when my computer gets confused and shuts down it's easy to get it back without formating and reinstalling everything which takes the engineer a week to do the technical stuff and takes me another couple of days to install the other software I use.

I'm using my computer for converting over 1,000 hours of video so I can burn it onto DVD. I also have a massive website with over 400 videofiles which are mostly Realvideo and I keep a backup of these on my computer as well as on data discs. My tower is twice the size of a regular tower and my computer shop put in something extra [I can't remember what he called it] to make room for so many hard drives. My "C" drive is partitioned to separate the operating system stuff from other files, 2 drives are 120s and the rest are 240s. I need all this space to hold video while I'm editing it and converting it until I can burn it onto DVD. I'm experienced at doing this video thing but a novice at technical stuff. I work in PAL and NTSC.

I phoned my computer shop today and the engineer who built my computer says as the drive that has disapeared is the latest to be added into the thing he installed to make more room a wire has probably come loose through the heat even though I have two fans to cool it so I'm taking the computer in for him to fix it as I dare not open the tower and have him talk me through it. I know all these drives sound ecxcessive but I do need them and use them all and often run low on space so I'm considering geting another 240. I don't like compressing files as this makes everything run slowly.

I know I've over explained but many people find it hard to believe that I need, and use, so much space. AVI files are massive which I work with until I convert the finished footage ready to burn onto DVD and then can delete them. I lost the drive late at night while I was in the middle of a project and I was hoping there was a quick fix. Thank you for trying to help but I think I'm best leaving the the technical stuff to the engineer with the patience of a saint who knows my system inside out. :)

6. parasolution

parasolution

Not sure if your system is running a raid system or if your using raid ports as IDE ports. For starters, go to start, control panel, administrative tools, computer management and finally to disk management.

Look to see if the drive is there and post results.

7. thumbolina

I've been there and all the drives are listed and are healthy except the missing "I" drive which is not listed. It has vanished. I tried that last night and that is about the limit of my technical knowledge.

I capture video to the "I" drive and when I try to capture it I get the message that the "I" drive is unavailable.

When I spoke to the engineer on the phome he talked me through going into the BIOS and checking things and that's when he figured it's probably a loose wire which just needs reattaching. I've got the computer booked in for next week to be fixed. Thank you for trying to help. (y)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/507385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice