1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Disk Addition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atish_aa, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atish_aa

atish_aa Thread Starter

I want to add another hard disk in my system as the 40 GB HD is already full. Which one will be the best, IDE (Ultra ATA or Serial ATA) or SCSI HDD in the range of 80 GB to 200 GB HDD?

2. xSoilworkeRx

xSoilworkeRx

The one I would recommend is the IDE (Serial ATA). You could get a mega hard drive (250 to 300 gigs) that would require RAID drivers. But, they are nice nonetheless.

3. norton850

norton850

I tried to look up your system on the Compaq site and couldn't find the exact model so I'll make some general comments. I doubt that your motherboard has a SCSI connector so that would mean an addin card. Many motherboards these days do have SATA connectors, I don't think yours does, and if it doesn't then you again would need an addin card. Do you have your manual?

That would eliminate SCSI and possibly SATA drives. "IDE" is somewhat of a generic term and gets used interchangeably with ATA. Ultra ATA refers to a standard that's been around for awhile. So these days when you buy an IDE drive your really get the Ultra IDE/ATA.

So check your manual.

4. atish_aa

atish_aa Thread Starter

On the Compaq Site my system config may be found as Presario 6171 EA instead of 6171 AI. Kindly Specify whether I should go for SATA or SCSI for upto a 200 GB HDD. Thanks.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

From what I can tell from hp's site, you do not have sata as an option unless you add a controller card. Go with pata or regular ide type drive.

6. atish_aa

atish_aa Thread Starter

"pata". What does this mean?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

pata= parallel ata it is the regular type of ide drive as opposed to the new sata or serial ata.

8. norton850

norton850

What you want is an "IDE" drive sometimes also called EIDE or Ultra ATA. I'm not recommending this drive by any means, just showing it as an example

IDE Drive

An IDE drive (Ultra ATA) in your size range running at 7200 RPMs will fill what you need.

9. atish_aa

atish_aa Thread Starter

As in the earlier reply how about Parallel ATA?

10. winbob

winbob

SoilworkeR,

You said, "You could get a mega hard drive (250 to 300 gigs) that would require RAID drivers."

Could you elaborate on this, I have not heard of this requirement before. Does this imply that you can only connect a drive of this capacity to a RAID Controller. :confused:

11. SacsTC

SacsTC

I think he meant that the sata would require RAID drivers, but that is also not true.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is what you have to get unless you want to buy a controller card. Parallel ata is the standard ide interface. It was what was used before sata.

13. atish_aa

atish_aa Thread Starter

Will SATA also require a controller card as opposed to a SCSI Drive?

14. broad55

broad55

i have recently installed a second (slave) drive on the same channell as my cd rom (d) and it works great, primerily i installed it to move my page files to but have noticed an increase in speed as well. i currently have intel celeron,2.6gh, 1024ram, 40+40 gig on hard drives, aol bbp2 2272kbps, everything is speedy and i very happy.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In your system, yes. It does not have native sata support. You must install a controller card in order to use sata. I would just get a regular ide drive. There really is not much difference in speed between a sata drive and a pata [regular ide] drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice