1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard disk boot problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Evil Rock, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Evil Rock

Evil Rock Thread Starter

hello.
    i have a problem with one of my hard disks and windows. actually, my windows got corrupted and i decided to reinstall it. i formatted my second 40 GB hard drive and installed windows in it, thinking of later formatting the drive with the corrupted windows which was on the other 80 GB drive. but now when i try to run the computer with both the drives connected and with the new windows drive as my 1st boot device, the computer gives "error 115" and directs me to BIOS setup. i get the same messege when i try to run with only the 80 GB drive connected.
    so i thought of formatting the drive partition with the old windows using the windows CD, but when i run the windows CD, it gets stuck whenever it tries to read or examine the 80 Gb hard drive. also, the 80 GB hard disk has data which i really want to save on a seperate partition.
    hope you understand my problem. Please help with it and give some possible solution. please.
    thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did you check the jumper settings? Can you get into the bios to be sure the boot drive is showing up correctly there?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some ideas.
    Did either of these drives get installed using the mfg's disk? If so, you may have a drive overlay installed causing problems.

Next when you installed on the second drive, some files were written to the primary "boot" drive; ntldr, ntdetec.com, and boot.ini. That is when you move the drives around you have problems. I would do the install with the problem drive disconnected; just pull the molex connector from the drive. Once you are finished with the install, you can reconnect the drive and the os will assign the next drive letter.

Note since you have been moving drives, go back and carefully recheck ide cables, jumper settings, and power connectors.

One other item. Post the make of the drives. Some drives have different jumper settings depending on if they are master, slave, or master with multi drives.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What happens if you only use the 40 gig drive set as a primary master. And it is the only device on that IDE channel.

5. Evil Rock

Evil Rock Thread Starter

when i run only the 40 GB as a primary, it runs fine with the windows i installed today.
    also, the 40 GB is samsung ATA while the 80 gigs one is seagate SATA! i am using an intel mobo and processor.
    i changed the jumper of the SATA drive and now i can run the windows setup on it, so now i am installing windows in the SATA drive after unplugging the ATA drive. i know now that, for some reason, the two drives never seem to work together! any idea why's that?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, if you check post #3 you will have your answer. The board defaults to the ide so when you install the os on the sata drive, it writes the files posted above to the ide drive. Once you have installed windows, all drivers, updates, etc; you can then connect the ide drive and access data from the drive.

7. Evil Rock

Evil Rock Thread Starter

i installed windows on the SATA drive and it is working all fine now. only that i cant run the ATA drive with it. if i connect both the drives, then it gives error 116, and directs me to BIOS again. so right now, i am running only on one hard disk. thanks for all the replies and help guys!

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you connect the ide drive, you will need to enter the bios and order the drives. Most boards will put an ide drive as the boot hd when they detect one. You just need to set the order of the hd; save settings and restart. It should then be ok.

Note this is not boot order ie CD, HD, Floppy. It is the order of the hd and may be located in a separate spot in the bios; check your manual.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Actually crj, I have seen this problem on lots of boards where they will not run if you plug an ide drive in jumpered anyway you like, with a sata drive booting and have never found a bios setting to solve it. I am currently about to try a Promise Controller card to see if that finally gets around it.
    In my shop I often bring a client drive to clean as a slave on one of my bench systems and this problem has been blowing me away. Up until now I have had to keep an old pc around that only has ide drives. I beat it with an ide to sata converter on one machine and now I am about to try a Promise card and I have struck it mostly on Intel motherboards.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have an epox board here running a fx55 that uses a sata and ide without issues at all [actually it is my kids system] The only problems I have seen are a reordering of the hd order when it detects an ide drive, however I usually use only epox boards, intel boards, or sometimes asus.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

crj,
    I have used boards that work fine with ide and sata, but the majority I have used, I cannot get to work.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/516771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice