1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Disk Cache--8Meg or 2Meg--Does it Really Mak a Difference

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I'm looking at the possibility of adding a 160-Gig hard disk to a machine that I intend to use for recording from cable TV directly to the hard disk. I already have the ADS (USB2) conversion box. I would like to stick with a Seagate Barracuda disk as that would more it likely that I could transfer the entire drive image to the new disk and still have Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows XP run without having to reload the operating systems.

I have looked at the Barracuda disks at PriceWatch; but, I cannot find any 160-Gig drives there that have more than 2 Megs of cache. Now, in the past, I have not been able to detect a performance difference between 2-Meg and 8-Meg-cache drives; but, that has always been on drives 80 Gigs and down in size.

Comments anyone?

2. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

YES! YES! YES! (y)

I bought a SATA 160 gig Seagate a few weeks ago, and it is screaming and works like a.... ...well, a Barracuda :D

I think the 8 meg does help. CompUSA had 200 gig Seagates on sale for 99 bucks. Watch the Sunday paper for sales ;)

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Try looking at maxtor hard drives.

4. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have seen the highest performance I've ever measured from a IDE drive from a 7200 RPM WD with the 8mb cache. It does both random and large file transfers about 20% faster than the same capacity drive (120gig) with a 2mb cache.

6. Alex Ethridge

I've been looking at Pricewatch and I don't see any 160's with 8 Megs. I do see some 200's. Maybe I'll go for 200.

I'm gonna have to do some checking and see how many minutes of TV-type video I can store per Gig. Anyone want to venture an educated guess?

By the way, I liked the old format better--where the original popster's name was more prominent and in a column by itself.

7. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

That would be 60 (one hour)

OR

110 days of non stop MP3 music

OR

40,000 digital photos

OR

228 action packed games

OR

40 two hour DVD movies :D

8. Alex Ethridge

Thanks.

I have a 30-Gig here that will get me more than started, in that case.

That'll be 30 hours in that case.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice