Hard Disk Cache--8Meg or 2Meg--Does it Really Mak a Difference

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alex Ethridge

I'm looking at the possibility of adding a 160-Gig hard disk to a machine that I intend to use for recording from cable TV directly to the hard disk. I already have the ADS (USB2) conversion box. I would like to stick with a Seagate Barracuda disk as that would more it likely that I could transfer the entire drive image to the new disk and still have Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows XP run without having to reload the operating systems.

I have looked at the Barracuda disks at PriceWatch; but, I cannot find any 160-Gig drives there that have more than 2 Megs of cache. Now, in the past, I have not been able to detect a performance difference between 2-Meg and 8-Meg-cache drives; but, that has always been on drives 80 Gigs and down in size.

Comments anyone?

Originally posted by Alex Ethridge:
I would like to stick with a Seagate Barracuda
YES! YES! YES! (y)

I bought a SATA 160 gig Seagate a few weeks ago, and it is screaming and works like a.... ...well, a Barracuda :D

I think the 8 meg does help. CompUSA had 200 gig Seagates on sale for 99 bucks. Watch the Sunday paper for sales ;)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I have seen the highest performance I've ever measured from a IDE drive from a 7200 RPM WD with the 8mb cache. It does both random and large file transfers about 20% faster than the same capacity drive (120gig) with a 2mb cache.

Alex Ethridge

I've been looking at Pricewatch and I don't see any 160's with 8 Megs. I do see some 200's. Maybe I'll go for 200.

I'm gonna have to do some checking and see how many minutes of TV-type video I can store per Gig. Anyone want to venture an educated guess?

By the way, I liked the old format better--where the original popster's name was more prominent and in a column by itself.

Alex Ethridge said:
I'm gonna have to do some checking and see how many minutes of TV-type video I can store per Gig. Anyone want to venture an educated guess?
That would be 60 (one hour)

OR

110 days of non stop MP3 music

OR

40,000 digital photos

OR

228 action packed games

OR

40 two hour DVD movies :D

Alex Ethridge

Thanks.

I have a 30-Gig here that will get me more than started, in that case.

That'll be 30 hours in that case.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online