1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard disk camcorders

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by ia1980, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ia1980

ia1980 Thread Starter

what r forums views about hard disk camcorders and which one as first one - for family / holidays etc

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

I have heard some decent things about the JVC Everio line----having said that I wouldn't buy a hard disk based camcorder. Simply put, tape is more reliable and the only advantage hard disk based cameras have is that they are faster when you download to your computer. Other then that, the unreliability of hard drives in general concerns me. I would recommend one of the tape based cameras.

3. ia1980

ia1980 Thread Starter

linsky!
    I am non-tech and won't be editing pictures etc or adding comments or captions, except maybe removing out focus and other useless bits if i can. i know you can with a tape one but could i doit with hd one? (and that is the only that puts me off from buying as i am not sure about it )

any ideas whether you can with hd camcorder

what about the dvd one

4. linskyjack

linskyjack

You should have no problem pulling your video into your computer using an HD based system. The only problem is that I have an issue with the hard drive---they just dont hold up over time and what happens if your drive crashes (which is far more common then a tape transport going on a standard camera). As far as a DVD based camera goes. Remember, you are compressing the DV to Mpeg in camera and therefore you are losing a degree of quality before making any changes. It is also much more difficult to edit mpeg footage----

If you intend to use the camera alot then I would go with tape. Thats just my opinion and of course other might disagree. If you want a good source for checking out different cameras before you purchase, go to http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ a pretty good source for information on consumer camcorders.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice