Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

afzal1234

Recently upgraded my Lenovo z 50-70 with a Samsung Evo 850 SSD. Used Samsung's migration software to clone my old harddisk. I removed the optical drive and used an HDD caddy to add in my old HDD for extra storage.

The old HDD is not showing up in device manager/ disk manager. But is getting detected by intel rapid storage software! The HDD is also working perfectly when connected via an external SATA-USB cable.

Any idea what could have gone wrong? Is it some drive ID issue with cloning?

I just did the same in reverse (cloned HDD to SSD) and, in disk management (DISKMGMT.MSC) it showed the HDD as disabled because of a "signature conflict". Check and, if that is your problem, too, you need to use a disk wiping utility to overwrite what is on the old drive and it will be easier if you put it back on the SATA-USB cable. Afterwards, you can put it back in the caddy and use disk management to partition and format the drive.

crjdriver

What does disk management show in regard to the disk? Post a screenshot of disk management showing the drive.

afzal1234

Disk management nor device manager was detecting the drive. The issue was solved with a simple BIOS update. Though I still don't understand Windows required a BIOS update to detect the hardware, while Ubuntu could mount the HDD like a breeze.

Anyways thanks for your replies!

crjdriver

My guess [and it is only a guess] is that when you update a bios, ALL bios settings are returned to default. This rather than the update itself is what allows windows to "See" the drive.
Unless the update has a fix for ssd drives, increased compatibility for ssd, etc, that would also explain why the update fixed the problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online