1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard-disk data recovery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kolahalb, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kolahalb

kolahalb Thread Starter

Until recently I used a 160 GB SATA hard disk in my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop.Couple of weeks ago,I had to change my hard disk and the earlier disk was taken out.It was reported that the hard-disk had 'many bad portions'...However,I need to recover the data from the hard disk as much as possible.I do not know if it can be done...and to be frank,I am really in need of the data.

I took it to the market where they first tried to convert it to an external drive: by putting it into a casing and further attaching usb cable into it.Some new hard drive was detected but it did not come directly to the 'removable storage devices' section. However,it was seen that the data was unaccessible(As far as I remember,the hard disk files were in FAT wheras the machine where they tested were in NTFS).They gave me the impression that the files may be recovered (costworthy, ~Rs.3500/- in India),but they often come in Chinese language---I am not sure if it is true...

My question is if it is possible to recover the data by some means.I heard that there are softwares that can do it...But I do not know how to do it.It may happen that when I connect the hard disk to a FAT machine,the files will be detected and can be accessed...Can anyone please show up any way to do it?

---Thank you very much in advance,
    Kolahal

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    A few methods -
    1) IS to put it into a caddy and connect to USB - as you have done
    2) Connect via a cable to USB - same as Caddy really - just that the cables are available and cheaper
    3) Put into a PC and connect up as a slave drive

Sometimes Windows can have a problem with the drive and using another operating system like ubuntu via a virtual may do the trick. - see below for ubuntu instructions

Quite a few recovery programs also available some free and some you pay for
    UBUNTU
    It may be possible to boot from another Operating System

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
    goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO

full details are here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

click on the image "download ubuntu"
    Select a location
    then begin download
    Save the file onto your PC – remember where you saved it – so you can find it again to create the image bootable CD.

You do NOT copy the ISO file onto a CD - you have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
    The CD creator software you have on the PC may have an option to create an image from an ISO
    If not - use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/

When the UBUNTU CD boots - you will see the following options
    1) Try ubunto without any change to your computer
    2) Install ubuntu
    3) Check CD for defects
    4) Test memory
    5) Boot from first hard disk.

Use OPTION 1 "Try ubunto without any change to your computer" ONLY this option this will run from the CD and not install onto your harddrive - be careful, if you do install onto the PC - you will wipe the data and software OFF your hard drive.., so repeat only use option 1

Now you should see a UBUNTU desktop

You may see your USB Harddrive now and be able to find the datafiles
    You should also see the main harddrive

If you can see your old harddrive – see if you can find the your datafiles –
    XP look in “documents and settings” under the user name you had on the PC
    Vista look in “user” under the user name you had on the PC

Now if you have a USB flash drive connected to another USB port – you should be able to copy your data from the harddrive onto the USB device OR onto your main harddrive.

3. kolahalb

kolahalb Thread Starter

Dear etaf,thank you very much...I have already downloaded pandora...I have to bring back the disck from the shop...meanwhile,please let me know-
    (i) what should be done if the files are not accessible when using ubuntu? Does this depend on FAT or NTFS?
    (ii)Is it possible to recover the data without converting anything to chinese etc?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    1) with Ubuntu FAT / NTFS should not make a difference as far as I know, often USB Thumb drives are in FAT format and UBUNTU works with them OK ...
    2) I have no idea about the Chinese comment - if you recover data it should be recovered in the language the original was in...

others may have more info and reply

5. catlady13

catlady13

Just to let you know I have used Etaf's ubuntu method for getting information from a "bad" hard drive. The bad hard drive was formatted ntfs and showed up just fine. I found I could transfer the files to a usb stick and/or burn them onto a dvd with a usb external dvd burner. I could not of course use the original burner on the computer because it had the ubuntu cd in it. Hmm should not say of course because I did not try doing that but I assume it would not work since one is not installing ubuntu but simply using it as a live cd. This will only work of course if the computer can see the had drive at all and it will spin. If it is pooched beyoned that .... well... you have a problem. But this did work REALLY well.

6. kolahalb

kolahalb Thread Starter

Dear Catlady, thank you for your opinion...Let me see how far I can do...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice