1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard disk disapearing randomly.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nedrapter, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nedrapter

Nedrapter Thread Starter

Hello!

This is my first post here. I searched for similar problems and found one, but as the conversation in that thread went on, I found that it derailed from my situation, so I decided to start a new thread.
    My problem is that my 2nd hard disk (used to be my 1st some time ago, don't know if it matters) randomly disappears while the pc is working. Since my 1st disk is a low-space SSD that has only the windows on it, when the 2nd disk disappears, all the application (which are installed on 2nd disk) hang and cannot function. The only way so far to see the disk again is by rebooting.
    I have noticed the following while trying to find out what's wrong:
    -Both disks show up normally at BIOS
    -Switch cables, or ports didnt change a thing
    -When I restart the system to see the disk again, a disk scan is initiated, which ends pretty fast.
    -The disk doesn't produce any weird sounds and except of this problem, works normally.
    -When I had only that disk this problem didn't occur (but that was quite some time ago, so it's not really giving much info)

My system's specifications are:
    Windows 7 x64 ultimate
    I7 870 2.93 processor
    6gb ram
    P55-UD3 revision 1 motherboard
    600W power supply
    Nvidia GTX 285 graphic card
    OSZ Agility3 60GB the SSD drive
    WDC 500GB the HDD (the one having the problem)

I've imagined that the drive might be faulty since it's 3 years old, but it works quite well despite disappearing, so I'd like to make sure what's wrong before attempting to replace anything.

Thanks in advance

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Most likely the HDD is failing/faulty. You can test the drive using the drive manufacturer disk tools. Run the short and long test. If either test fails or has errors, the drive is faulty.

3. dai

dai

try a new data cable on the drive

the psu is underpowered for the system and probably low quality as well

what

make
    model

4. Nedrapter

Nedrapter Thread Starter

I tried a new data cable, didn't change anything. If you're asking for the model of the psu it's RECOM PE-M600. If you're asking the model of something else please be more specific, i'm kind of newbie at such stuff.

As for the tests oddba11 mentioned, they did find some bad sectors. However there is a repair button which warns me that all data in the bad sectors will be lost. Will it really fix the problem if I repair? (all this by using WinDlg_124 software, downloaded from Western Digital)

5. dai

dai

6. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

The HDD/HDD cable/HDD controller are all possible issues. Try another cable or plug the cable into another SATA port.

It could just be a poor connection on either end of the sata cable - but a HDD test is advisable too.

7. Nedrapter

Nedrapter Thread Starter

As i mentioned in the 1st post, it's not an issue of cables or ports. Is there any use of an HDD with bad sectors as mine? I see that i cant trust it with programs and stuff, but can I store some files like audio, video etc? Will they be safe? or these bad sectors could actually corrupt them?
    About the PSU, if I remove , lets say, the optical drives (2 of them), will it be enough for my system?

8. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

Check Event Viewer and look for error messages concerning the hard drive or drive controller. They might help diagnose the issue.

Have you run drive diagnostics on the drive yet?

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    How many bad sectors ?

10. dai

dai

removing drives will not reduce power pull by much

90%+ of the power pullers are m/b,cpu,video

11. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Typically, when a drive starts having bad sectors, it continues to have more bad sectors. Thus any data on the drive is NOT safe.

12. Nedrapter

Nedrapter Thread Starter

The check didn't specify. It just said it contains some bad sectors.

13. Nedrapter

Nedrapter Thread Starter

A windows scan disk found 256 KB in bad sectors. No idea if that's much or not. Also another piece of information is that, after the disk disappears, I can make it show up again by scanning for hardware changes in the computer management. Does this mean something?

14. dai

dai

replace the drive and the psu

15. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

A sector on standard drives is 2kb. So you have 512 bad sectors and that is a large number of bad sectors - a drive commonly has far far more sectors but the fact that sectors are often being marked as bad is pointing to unreliability in the drive and the data on it.

So, I partially agree: replace the drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice