Hard Disk Drive (D:) wont open - forever loading/crashing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you got the program downloaded and opened it
OR is there a problem

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Last reply last page shows u that I got an error when trying to use program
There is no mention of that until the post above - what is the error
Although it does not say it is OK for 10 it is as I have have just installed it to send you the screenshot

zkilp142

There is no mention of that until the post above - what is the error
Although it does not say it is OK for 10 it is as I have have just installed it to send you the screenshot
1613872023548.png
When I try to run the program that you sent me

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OK it is too complicated to try and sort that out at this late stage
Go to device manager
that is either control panel and device manager
OR type it on the desktop in the search bar and when it appears above click to open it
expand disk drives with the drop arrow
IS the drive seen there

zkilp142

OK it is too complicated to try and sort that out at this late stage
Go to device manager
that is either control panel and device manager
OR type it on the desktop in the search bar and when it appears above click to open it
expand disk drives with the drop arrow
IS the drive seen there
No it is not

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OK
There is a possibility I can solve it, but not in this session, as it is 0200 in the UK and I have to sign off
IF you want the easy way BUT YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA
Go back to Disk Genius where you posted the screenshot in post 8
and this time select the 931GB drive shown as unformatted on your screenshot and then click FORMAT

IT IS VITAL you select the correct disk OTHERWISE you will lose the data on the main OS drive

As I said it may be possible to solve this, but it will take more time
SO you can either go the format route
OR you can wait for someone else or until I return but that will not be until 1930hrs UK time

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Please let me know which way you intend to go. I will wait for that reply

zkilp142

OK
There is a possibility I can solve it, but not in this session, as it is 0200 in the UK and I have to sign off
IF you want the easy way BUT YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA
Go back to Disk Genius where you posted the screenshot in post 8
and this time select the 931GB drive shown as unformatted on your screenshot and then click FORMAT

IT IS VITAL you select the correct disk OTHERWISE you will lose the data on the main OS drive

As I said it may be possible to solve this, but it will take more time
SO you can either go the format route
OR you can wait for someone else or until I return but that will not be until 1930hrs UK time
Ok thanks for the help man I appreciate it

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Cheers
Someone else may come in-
Good luck with it
I will be back about 1930 UK time

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi
It appears that the drive having been seen, in DiskGenius and indeed then in TestDisk, on the first boot to that, but not on the second, that there is either an actual error with the drive itself OR more likely I think, the transfer of the phone data, failing, OR possibly coincidentally a update was installed from Windows, and that has caused it.

Referring back to my colleagues post 16 and NOT knowing if this is your exact laptop
0409_E14407_TP412UA_V2_B.pdf (asus.com)
but the principle will be the same even if it is not that version

Follow please this procedure
Either press F2 during the post that is when your laptop first boots and you see the black screen with the white text

You may find that the boot is too quick to do this, so a easier way maybe to
Open Settings, and click on the Update & security icon.
Click/tap on Recovery on the left side, and click on Restart now under Advanced startup
After the PC restarts, click on Troubleshoot
Click on Advanced options
Click on UEFI Firmware Settings.
Click on Restart to boot into your UEFI firmware settings.

Once in the UEFI setup, that is the BIOS setup screens, check please to see if the TWO drives - - eg the D 931GB drive and the OS drive are shown
They will not be shown as lettered drives. I cannot tell you on your UEFI setup where to look but check each section of the UEFI setup on the tabs at the top
It appears from the manual - that they will be listed on Storage - on the main page

The D drive even if it shown will NOT be listed on boot options, as the UEFI (BIOS) will know that the drive is not a bootable option.

If they are that is NOT the problem.
If ONLY the OS drive is shown then press F9 for defaults and F10 to save and exit
That part of the guide is on the user manual link above on page 69 where you can see in the image - to the right F9 load defaults
YOU must the press F10 Save and exit and usually the Y key to do so.

When you save and exit - reboot to windows and see if the drive is now shown in ThisPC, if not check disk management again and IF NOT there check device manager again.

Please indicate in your reply if the drive WAS shown in the UEFI setup, when you first entered that
AND IF NOT - is it shown, as above - now that you have loaded optimized defaults and saved and exited.

IF IT IS STILL not shown in windows, disk management or device driver then go back to UEFI setup and check if it is now shown in UEFI - if it was not before

If none of this works, we will have to try yet another approach

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Please follow the above post step by step
IF you get to NONE of this works then proceed to this please
[Notebook] Troubleshooting - How to fix Hard Disk Drive (HDD) problems | Official Support | ASUS Global
Starting at item 4 on that guide as we have already checked the proceeding items
Run System Diagnosis in MyASUS to section 4.5

I appreciate the link says notebook but the guide covers your model in relation to the principles of the troubleshooting
In fact you will see the images deal with the 931GB drive

EVEN if you have a system restore point PLEASE DO NOT proceed to that section at this stage

Please post the results

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online