1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Disk Drive Disappearing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bob135, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob135

Bob135 Thread Starter

I built this computer my self about 2 years ago. I had a 20gb HDD that i use to have my OS on but 20gb is not enough so i installed a 160gb HDD as well. Both are compatible with each and were working with no problems until last Wednesday. First my video card went so i took it to a shop and the put the Gforce 200 series in. I got it home, worked fine. I installed a game off of steam onto my E: (160gb) and tried to run it. It worked for a while then nothing happened everything froze so i restarted my computer. Since then my E: keeps on disappearing and reappearing. I have multiple programs on it nut have only tried to run steam. It runs but after about 10mins into it I either get a message in the notification area saying Error saving smf% and then everything on that drive that was running would shut down and the HDD will disappear or the HDD will just dissapear without any warnings or notifications. After rebooting a couple of time it shows up but it asks to reformat when i try to enter. If i restart a couple more time it comes up fine but if i try to open anything up it says its corrupt. If i reboot aftre that everytthing works well and good for 10mins again then i have to reboot half a dozen times. I have tried several things such as uninstall/reinstall the drive, updating it and rolling it back.

Is there a way to fix it? Without re-formatting?
    Please help!

2. Bob135

Bob135 Thread Starter

Can anyone give me anything to try and solve this problem? I have read and followed some steps on a different thread and I have the same problem as he had but the thread expired so no result can anyone help??

3. Hughv

Hughv

Try chkdsk /r from a command prompt.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice