1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard disk/drive error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Lemming, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Lemming

The_Lemming Thread Starter

Jul 14, 2012
    Hello there.

Recently my computer has been displaying a message whenever i turn it on. It shows a black screen which says:
    "S.M.A.R.T Hard drive detects Error.
    Please consider to back up hard drive"

Then i press escape and it logs me on and a window comes up which says: 'Windows has detected a hard disk problem" and some other things i can remember.

I tried to back up my files like it suggested but i need 'Removable media' so i guess that means i need to put in a CD to back up my files on to. Please can someone give me a simple guide on how to go about trying to fix my hard drive and backup my files.

Some information on my computer.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2810 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 294967 MB, Free - 244807 MB;
    Motherboard: Sony Corporation, VAIO
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus 2011, Updated and Enabled

Also, my computer sometimes freezes for 5-30 seconds.

Thank you.

Jan 30, 2007
    If the harddrive is truly failing not much can be done to fix it. It has to be replaced.However before it goes completely if you can remove the harddrive and using a usb sata/ide connector hook it to another computer and you should be able to save what you dont want to lose forever.Its have been a lifesaver many times for me.
  3. black-wolf

Aug 8, 2008
    Welcome to the forums.
    It's telling you that your harddrive is failing and to back up your data. You can back up files to cds or dvds or thumb drives, but an external HDD drive is best. If you are using a cd/dvd you can just burn documents and pictures to it.
  4. The_Lemming

The_Lemming Thread Starter

Jul 14, 2012
    Thank you for your advice. I will try to save my stuff to a CD as quickly as possible.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061012