Hard-disk drive regenerator.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

qldit

This is an odd post, I recently was given a small program called a hard-disk drive regenerator, being a typical skeptic I considered it as some pie-in-the-sky kind of program.
So I got a couple of hard-drives with crook clusters and let it loose on them, these were drives that had been removed from machines due to being unable to f-disk or format using either Linux or MS programs.

The interesting thing is that after running this ridiculous little program, the drives test good!
Has anyone used this program? it is called "HDD Regenerator V1.41".

As you can imagine I am currently going through the junk box that was emptied a week or so and many duff drives were tossed. (always the case!)

I don't know how this thing works, but I suspect it considers hysteresis and retentivity and somehow magically applies some kind of signal.

Has anyone used it before, if so what kind of longevity do the restored clusters have?
Cheers, qldit.

qldit said:
This is an odd post, I recently was given a small program called a hard-disk drive regenerator, being a typical skeptic I considered it as some pie-in-the-sky kind of program.
So I got a couple of hard-drives with crook clusters and let it loose on them, these were drives that had been removed from machines due to being unable to f-disk or format using either Linux or MS programs.

The interesting thing is that after running this ridiculous little program, the drives test good!
Has anyone used this program? it is called "HDD Regenerator V1.41".

As you can imagine I am currently going through the junk box that was emptied a week or so and many duff drives were tossed. (always the case!)

I don't know how this thing works, but I suspect it considers hysteresis and retentivity and somehow magically applies some kind of signal.

Has anyone used it before, if so what kind of longevity do the restored clusters have?
Cheers, qldit.
Hi qldit,

The only other similar program I have ever heard about is SpinRite! from Steve Gibson at http://www.grc.com Worth a visit just to read about what it does. I wonder if your program is an earlier version with a different name since Gibson has been working on it for some number of years to perfect it. You might try sending him email to ask if your program name is an earlier version of his product - don't know if he answers email these days - he must get a lot.

Have you tried googling to find out more about your program?

Cheers,

-- Tom

qldit

G'day lotuseclat79, yes I have had a bit of a looksee but there is a lot of stuff which is gobblegook as far as I can see.
So far I have gotten six drives two which were mechanically damaged and the other four were crook clusters, one had fourteen bads another would not even f-disk and they all now are clean and test perfectly, two are 20 gigs so it has been a rewarding playtime.
I can't wait to see if they begin to fail once again or how long it may take.
I have church tomorrow morning (sunday morning in ten hours time, computer meet!!) and the high priest there (hardware programmer) is a pretty cluey chap so I might have to make confession. (have a chat with him about it) I usually just toss the drives when they start to fail, this may change that idea!
I did have a look at spinright but that appeared different, I will recheck, tnx fr the address.
In the meantime I am looking for duff drives to place my hands on and ressurrect.
Of course I say the magic words when I do this. (like come good you mongrel dog!!)
I have always felt a little prayer created the right atmosphere for healing.
I have pulled many of these drives apart in the past and the platters always appeared to be in pristine condition with no apparent blemishes or damage evident.
Certainly an interesting play session, I thought Johnwill or CJdriver might have toyed with this at some time, they seem to have played with everything else..
Thanks for the reply, cheers, qldit.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I never even heard of this program. When I do a Google search on HDD Regenerator V1.41, all I find are crack sites that are offering cracks. I never did find a website for the actual program. :confused:

qldit

G'day John and everyone, yes this program is quite incredible, I have been playing with it for a couple of days and now have seven fully recovered drives!
What I have found is that if you run it on a known bad clustered drive with an operating system or data still on it, it runs through and regenerates the drive and then quits. If you then run a MS scandrive it comes up with errors still showing in the DOS scandisk screen, and does not mark them up as being fixed or alter them, it just runs straight through them, and leaves them marked as bad. But if you re-fdisk the drive, wipe the MBR and reformat, then do a scandisk it shows a lovely clear screen without any bad cluster marking at all. This sounds quite incredible because some of these drives I have been playing with were really multicoloured screens beforehand..
It certainly is a toy and a half!!!
I would love to know how permanent the corrected cluster will be?
It could be quite a tool for high level data problem recovery.
I am currently trying to locate some duff drives to play with some more, I threw a lot out a week or so ago!!
I just had one apart but the head assy pivot is damaged, another is jut going click-clack so it is also scrap..
I was reading about the spinright program but I suspect this HDR would be in front of it.
It is just a simple little dos kind of screen if works on any file system apparently and does not damage material already on the drive.
I cannot understand how I'd never heard of it previously.
Cheers, qldit.

G'day qldit !
This is what it says at the manufacturer's site:
Almost 60% of all hard drives damaged with bad sectors have an incorrectly magnetized disk surface. We have developed an algorithm which is used to repair damaged disk surfaces
I think i read somewhere that it does some magnetic reversal ?
(Don't ask me what it means).
You're right about scandisk marking the disk as bad, and still it works.
This is what they say about that at their site:
Since the program does not change the logical structure of a hard drive, the file system may still show some sectors marked earlier as "bad", and other disk utilities such as Scandisk will detect logical bad sectors even though the disk has been successfully regenerated and is no longer damaged by physical bad sectors. If you want to remove these marks, repartition the hard disk drive
The latest version is 1.51
You can get more info here:
http://www.dposoft.net/
Sounds like a really nifty little app, interesting to read you've had so much success
with it.
Definitively worth having a look.

I think I'm going to give it a try ! I've got some old drives as well, that sound like they are grinding there teeth!!

qldit

Good evening gentlemen, yes dobbelina, that is what actually happens, I suppose it is normal that the software marks things as bad and has no reversal ability, but certainly after rehashing the MBR and the other associated stuff the bads are all gone.
It is one of the rare times I have seen a program actually do what it says it will.
On the initial run it picks the bad clusters and shows them as a red "B" and then sits there for a minute or so and the "B" changes to a blue "R", this is represented on a "worm" type display horizontally across the screen, the "R" obviously means regenerated or repaired, and the thing moves on. With a 20 gig drive it takes around 40 minutes or so, but if you get some repaired clusters showing in the worm on the first pass it is clean all the way on the second, so far at least with the drives I have used.
I have been taking notes from observations, firstly using MS scandisk and the positions of the "Bads" then running the regen program, cleaning the drive and reformatting, then running scandisk once again, takes ages, but it definitely shows the thing is actually working. I would hate to do it with a large drive, chances are it might not even work, the largest I have tried is 20gigs. My bad memory is showing and I am forgetting where I am with each one, doing several at one time on several different machines.
I can't understand why I have never heard of this program before!
One of these drives had a first sector area problem and would not identify itself, MBR kind of error, and even it now appears normal.
Obviously it has no effect on mechanically damaged drives, I have a couple dismantled here, one was making the wierdest noises, and was grinding with the head assy. I am also impressed at the speed and power in those platter drive motors, one here really has "grunt". It must have some other application surely, maybe some kind of pump for fluid cooling or something.. LOL.
I don't know Derrick, I am the worlds greatest time waster and have so many projects still to do I am getting further behind all the time, I might have to ask blondey over to give me a hand.LOL..
Cheers, gentlemen.

I've tryed the program with a 12gig IBM drive and keep getting an error right at the start, i may be doing somthing wrong with the program, .
It's one of those grindy one's !
It has an operating system on it and have been using it and seem's to work ! just noisy.
I must be doing somthing wrong with the program.

qldit

Yes that sounds like a mechanical problem Derrick, I would be inclined to pull the cover off and see what is going on with it.
Boy you don't muck around much there, that was quick.
Under normal circumstances I have been disabling the other hard drives and have the regen program on a bootable CD set to boot first, so when it boots there is only one drive it can see. I have not tried any other method. One of my machines has a removeable hard drive cassette which makes it easier.
Have you got a drive that has a lot of bad clusters to try?
qldit.

qldit

My apologies dobbelina, I was under the impression that you were a bloke, I note also you mention you were in Thailand, but I am probably wrong once again, my young fellow has just returned from there, he was up there holidaying, playing with elephants and river rafting. qldit.

qldit

Well done Derrick, I just downloaded another version from the site dobbelina mentioned, I will give it a try, but I don't have any more bad drives to play with, isnt that ridiculous!
I like your grass! We never get snow, never even get any frost in this place, but we do get bloody mosquitoes, indistinguishable from catalina flying boats!
qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online