1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Disk Error, Boot Device Not Found, AND lack of OS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Djracem, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djracem

Djracem Thread Starter

So my problem is that now when I first start up my laptop, it starts up saying exactly:

"Hard Disk Error

Please run the Hard Disk Test in System Diagnostics.

Hard Disk 1 (3F1)

F2 System Diagnostics

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup"

I press F2 and everything works the same and I run though each test, doing the Hard Drive Check first. Firstly, I do a Quick Check and then it says:
    "Testing Drive: 1
    SMART Check : NOT AVAILABLE
    Short DST : NOT AVAILABLE"​
    Then goes to list another FMI (For more information) webside by HP. (If you hadn't guessed yet, my laptop is an HP. It also runs Windows 8 and I hadn't had the chance to upgrade to windows 10, although I have it downloaded. The model number is15-f111dx.) Anyways, I go back to the main menu then exit. and then it shows:

"Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard Disk - (3F0)

F2 System Diagnostics

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup"

Then at that point I go back to System diagnostics and try the memory test, which then it says it'll take over half an hour. When it finishes, it shows it passed, so that's pretty much the only good thing that is going on. When I exit again, it shows the same thing as the last time, Boot Device Not Found.

Onto what I did that caused this;
    I have hit my computer before on the lower left and lower right corner areas, next to the touch pad before, and it's glitched out my computer to a point of needing to restart (Screen color distortion, forcing shut off, etc...) and now this last time I hit it, it shut off and then started back up displaying the first screen. I was wondering what I could do that I could either save the hard disk, or the memory. Or would it just be better if I trashed the PC?

EDIT:
    Sometimes when I run the hard disk check, it says the hard disk isn't found.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  2. Saturable

Saturable

First Name:
    Mark
    That's a really strange error message. However, reading that
    it hasn't been functioning properly you might need a new laptop.

You can check out this thread on HP as it describes the same issue you're having.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1175666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice