1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Disk Error Hello, my notebook has suddenly experienced a problem with it's hard

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Venn2021, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Venn2021

Venn2021 Thread Starter

Hello, my notebook has suddenly experienced a problem with it's hard drive, and I'm at a loss as to what to do.

It's a "Compaq Presario CQ56" running "Windows 7". As far as I know all drivers and system software is up-to-date.

Well I was running a couple programs and the notebook froze a few times, but only for a minute or so. Then it froze for about 5 minutes. Not completely, but I couldn't access the programs to close them, so I long-pushed the power button and turned it off. I immediately tried to turn it back on several times, and was met with a black screen. After running some system checks and looking at the BIOS and all that, I understood that the problem was with my hard drive.

The system tests were as follows:
    Memory Test: PASSED
    Battery Test: PASSED
    Run-in Test: Stalled at 35%
    Start-up Test: Stalled at 35%
    Hard Disk Test: Stalled at 2%

So the computer recognizes that the hard disk is there, but still gives me the "Hard Disk Not Exist" error messages at several points. I have no idea how to proceed from this point. My main concern is the integrity of my files; pics, videos, music (especially music).

Does anyone have any idea what I can do? Thank you very much.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1059814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice