1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard disk error - no disk space

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by usgeex, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. usgeex

usgeex Thread Starter

Last week i installed windows XP Pro on my desktop. It has a 250GB hard drive which has 1 partition (C drive only), NTFS offcourse. I did not format it while installing windows as it has lots of stuff in it. There’s over 50GB free and i’ve been removing a lot of stuff from the hard drive to make up some space but in windows i get an error message that i don’t have enough disk space, the disk cleanup utility runs cant free up space and i can not install or copy anything in the hard drive. I’ve noticed that when i deleted some file holding (or not) the shift key the free size goes lower although the files are being deleted from the hard disk.

Anyone has a solution for that beside moving my data to somewhere else and formatting it?

thanks

2. usgeex

usgeex Thread Starter

so no one has a solution for it?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like more is wrong than just disk space. Was there a problem that prompted you to reinstall? Have you run chkdsk /r on the drive?

4. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

and when was the last time you defragged the drive?

5. DotHQ

DotHQ

Check your recycle bin ....some deleted files still might be in there.

6. usgeex

usgeex Thread Starter

defrag? i guess never.

recycle bin? i always empty it and there's nothing in there now.

In windows explorer it says my disk size is 1GB and free space is 61mb.
    In "computer management" under administrative tools it says 250GB and 100gb free now. i keep taking backups on DVDs and removing the files from the hard.

seems like i've to format it. OR if anyone know a utility that'll fix my disk space management in windows.

i've tried chkdsk /r and it didnt fix the problem either.

7. usgeex

usgeex Thread Starter

anyone?

8. padutch

padutch

to gain much needed space go to system restore < restore settings > on the restore tab click on settings and move the slider from 12 percent max to the min . When you delete files they stay in system restore in case you need them again.

9. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

FYI Restore logs changes to the system as a result of installs/uninstalls. Deleting files does not cause them to be maintained in System Restore.

usgeex
    From Explorer, select the drive, right mouse, properties
    What shows for Used, Free, Capacity?

From Disk Management, what shows for this drive for Capacity, Free Space?

10. angelofthenorth

angelofthenorth

usgeex when did you last do a virus check- there are some that will take over your system and give false readings, have a look in your Task Manager and see whats running - this happened to me lately and it was a virus.

11. padutch

padutch

Phil , I am far from an expert and only know by hands on but you are wrong . I just made a new folder on my desktop . Put some jpgs in it . created a new restore point . I then deleted that new folder and emptied my bin . rebooted my PC to see no new folder on the desktop or in the bin . Did a restore to the new restore point and when the PC rebooted there on my desktop was my new folder . Also at one time I cleared all restore points and gained 3 gigs of free space .

12. WhitPhil

There is nothing in the documentation that indicates as such, but Desktop may be one of the monitored folders, or your system has been tailored as to what is to be monitored and thus restored. (JPGs are not one of the file extensions being monitored)

But, I will guarantee that if you create a new folder on your drive (C:\Test) for example, populate it, create a restore point, delete it and roll back the system, that folder is not going to be there.

As for getting 3 GBs of space returned after clearing restore points, that is going to occur if the restore settings are set to default. If they are capped at say 1 GB, I hope you aren't saying that when you clear the restore points you get 3GBs back!

13. usgeex

usgeex Thread Starter

explorer says 1GB hard drive and 64mb free
    disk management gives me the true values. 250GB and 100GB free

14. usgeex

usgeex Thread Starter

I think you are right. There might be some virus that’s faking the true hard drive meter readings.
    But how do i fix it? Would updated AVG fix it?

15. WhitPhil

If you go to Safe mode, are those sizes the same?

Download, install and run HiJackThis
    Run the scan and save log file option
    When the LOG file opens in Notepad, select all, Copy
    Then, return here and in a reply post, Paste.

As well, install Treesize and see if it shows any anomalies on the drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/740316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice