1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Disk Failed...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by odau, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. odau

odau Thread Starter

I have bought a new 40G HD from a local Computer super market and installed Win2K and Office 2K and have been using for sometime.

Then it crashed. I used a Maxtor utility to do a Low Level format on it. Then reinstalled Win2K and Office 2K but it failed after I completed the installation.

I tried doing the LLF and the installation the second time. It failed. I tried doing the LLF and the installation the third time. And it failed again.

Is there a way I can rescue this hard disk?

I aint concerned about the data. Just the HD.

Many Thanks. :eek:

2. Lightning

Lightning Guest

Why would you want to put your data on a hard drive that's failing? Buy a new one.

3. Conrad747

Conrad747

everything has a life. i have heard od HD's dieing within months of installation. if you bought it new you might have a chance of getting a warranty on it, instead of holding on to a dieing hard drive.

4. robomatic

robomatic

The big manufacturers of most hard drives have a technical support system online. If you go to their websites you can accomplish three things:

1) E-Mail their technical support with your specific problems and solicit their recommendations.

2) Download test software on a boot disk so you can determine if the drive meets manufacturers' specifications.

3) Obtain an RMA (Return to manufacturer) which means that the manufacturer will supply you with a new or rebuilt drive should you meet warranty requirements.

I have had two drives go bad. Both times I used manufacturer's programs to come up with a diagnostic error code, which meant the manufacturer replaced the drive.

Your data and your time are more important thant the minor costs of the hard drive. Don't flog a dying horse.

Good hard drives should be able to function day in day out for YEARS.

on the other hand:

You mention that you bought a new HD, but you don't say when you bought it. You say it crashed but a lot of crashes are due to software. If your problem is NOT a faulty HD, you have to be more specific as to what's going on.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/294387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice