1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Disk failing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matthewdownloads, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads Thread Starter

Hi all,

Was downloading to my Samsung HD103SJ hard drive and got a CRC error. Immedately concerned I backed up all my data. Checked crystal disk info and got a "caution" with "Current Pending Sector Count" of 14. Ran chkdsk overnight and found some errors (in the file I'd been downloading) which it corrected. The current pending sector count dropped to 9.

I've continued to use the hard disk since then without problems. I've ran chkdsk overnight several times over the last month and no errors have been found. I've just checked today and the current pending sector count has again dropped to 7. Obviously I'm not trusting my important data on the drive just yet but the number seems to be dropping and I haven't had any real problems with it (yet). I'm aware I can do a zero wipe which may sort it but it's going to be too much hassle right now.

The drive is passing SMART but failing the Short DST test in Samsung SeaTools Diagnostic. It also passes the Short Generic test.

1) Obviously the drive cannot be trusted with important data. BUT is it 100% GUARANTEED to fail?
    2) If so, when is the drive going to fail? And I know the answer is "anytime without warning", but it's been a month - I was expecting the Current Pending Sector Count to increase - not decrease.
    3) If the pending sectors dropped to 0, would it pass the Short DST test?

I can deal with any failures when/if they happen as I have a 2nd hard disk, so it's just a case of not throwing away a working drive.

2. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

I had the same problem, and the Seatools tests said passed, even the long msdos test which ran 5 hours.

The Acronis Drive Monitor, which I also use, said HDD running at 60% and reallocated sectors errors.
    The next day, the drive failed.

I would run the Acronis test and click "smart parameters"

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/drive-monitor/

BTW - the drive had been giving me that error for about 3 weeks, so your drive could fail at any time.

3. OfTheBlade

OfTheBlade

Have you checked your system event viewer for errors?

4. matthewdownloads

Okay, here's the results from Acronis which includes information from the event viewer

Disks: No problems detected (really????)
    SAMSUNG HD103SJ 92% health
    HITACHI HUA721010KLA330 100% health

Critital Events: High risk events detected - 1 listed
    2013/01/10 17:23:55 The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has a bad block.

Edit: Oh, that error is from earlier today. I ran Seatools on a Long Generic Test (which failed about 2/3 of the way through). Now the Current Pending Sector count is 8. Strange that's the only error.

Edit 2: Acronis gives me the same page as crystal disk info:

SAMSUNG HD103SJ

Read Error Rate,975,100,51,OK
    Throughput Performance,0,252,0,OK
    Spin-Up Time,9006,71,25,OK
    Start/Stop Count,1263,99,0,OK
    Reallocated Sectors Count,0,252,10,OK
    Seek Error Rate,0,252,51,OK
    Seek Time Performance,0,252,15,OK
    Power-On Hours (POH),10249,100,0,OK
    Spin Retry Count,0,252,51,OK
    Recalibration Retries,0,252,0,OK
    Power Cycle Count,1416,99,0,OK
    G-sense error rate,34,100,0,OK
    Power-off Retract Count,0,252,0,OK
    Temperature,193274183712,32,0,OK
    Hardware ECC Recovered,0,100,0,OK
    Reallocation Event Count,0,252,0,OK
    Current Pending Sector Count,8,100,0,Degradation
    Uncorrectable Sector Count,0,252,0,OK
    UltraDMA CRC Error Count,97,100,0,OK
    Write Error Rate/Multi-Zone Error Rate,17,100,0,OK
    Load/Unload Retry Count,0,252,0,OK
    Load/Unload Cycle Count,1438,100,0,OK

5. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

What is the Acronis test telling you that the health of the drive is?

With all the warnings, I personally would not trust this drive and would not keep adding data to it.

As I said, after a few weeks of warnings, mine just disappeared from my comp.

6. OfTheBlade

OfTheBlade

Agree with PSCO2007, if you are having issues and are getting sector errors it is a matter of time before full failure.

As you have the data you need on a 2nd drive (yay btw), you may use it as a junk drive for junk data you don't need until it does finally die...

I would junk it though, get another backup for you now primary backup, and back that one up :)

7. matthewdownloads

Not quite, I have a LOT of data lol. I've basically duplicated the irreplaceable data onto the HITACHI and kept the "re-obtainable" data on the Samsung.

"re-obtainable" includes my operating system :( I have the Windows DVD so I can reinstall anytime but it's irritating to have to set everything up again. I might reinstall on the HITACHI so it's dual boot for now.... it would be a headache if it broke when a deadline was approaching....

I wish if it was going to fail it would just fail. The hard disk is sat on the fence at the moment :mad:

8. OfTheBlade

OfTheBlade

Clone that puppy then...

http://www.fssdev.com/ is what I use and prefer but there are other options as well. A 1:1 cloned image.

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    An alternative is to make an Image of the 'main' drive stored on a different drive. This can be restored and will include the OS and all programs and data that's on the original HDD when the image was made. No more re-installing programs etc.

You can also copy individual files from the image so it acts as a file backup as well.

Macrium free will do all that and more :- http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
    Make the restore CD first and then you can restore even if your OS won't run.

10. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

If you have either a Seagate HDD or Western Digital HDD, the Acronis True Image is free and you can create an image including your OS and all programs and files.

Save it to a good HDD (doesn't have to be Seagate or WD and can be an external)

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Make sure to create a bootable cd for ease of operation.

11. matthewdownloads

Update: Still 8 pending sectors, everything still working fine.

Thanks for your suggestions but I'm unlikely to use any image tools. The O/S is clogged down, it really needs to be reinstalled anyway. I'm just putting off the inevitable. I was hoping to get an SSD over christmas but the prices were higher than I wanted to pay so I'm waiting. My O/S is on a 150GB partition at the start of the disk, well away from the "theoretical damage" which is towards the end of the disk. If everything is still running mid-march I'll do a zero wipe and report back.

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Fair enough. Will you wait till you get the SSD before re-installing the OS ?

I've thought about getting an SSD myself but they still seem too expensive and I'm unsure how long they will last.

Have you picked the one you want yet ? Just curious.

13. matthewdownloads

No, I'm waiting. I basically want a 128GB one for under £50. And not one that's more likely to fail *cough* OCZ *cough*. I am really concerned about reliability, that's why I'd only install my OS on it (all my files would be on a traditional drive).

I was hoping they'd have gone down by christmas, now I'm hoping they'll be cheaper by easter. Anyhow I can wait, it's not exactly urgent (yet).

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Unfortunately in my experience prices often go up around Christmas.

I had a vague idea of waiting until an SSD GB costs 50p but I like your £50 idea better. ;)

I'm concerned with reliability too but more so about whether the drive will become totally useless in just a few years

15. matthewdownloads

Still alive, still 8 current pending sectors, still about to imminently fail?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice