1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard disk failure, Vista unable to boot at all!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Billy_Bob, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Billy_Bob

Billy_Bob Thread Starter

HP Pavillion DV7 with Vista. Got an imminent hard disk error (no back up and no Vista Recovery disks) probably from power outages. Ran chkdsk (yes, I should have backed up or cloned first) it was fixing errors and in stage 4 when the power went out. Now it will not boot, gives SMART error 1720.

I tried to make a boot disk with my old XP computer online, using Imgbrn and tried burning WD's hard disk rescue and UBCD411. My laptop will not boot off of any of them, even with the Bios changed to boot off CD (yes I saved Bios correctly). It actually won't read the CD/DVD even though I input it into the bios. It just keeps saying insert boot disc and hit any key.

The hard disk is partitioned into C and D and D is the recovery. Any way to access the hard disk or get this to boot?? Thanks in advance!!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the complete model number of that HP Pavilion dv7 series laptop?

There should be a dash and a series of numbers and letters after dv7.

If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) on the sticker is.

We can then determine if a recovery disc kit is available for it at Computer Surgeons HP Recovery Center.

If the hard drive needs to be replaced or if the built-in recovery partition is corrupted or destroyed, you'll need the recovery disc kit to get that laptop going again.

------------------------------------------------------------

3. Billy_Bob

Billy_Bob Thread Starter

It's a DV7 1464nr. Part of the problem is that it is not reading or recognizing the disc drive for a recovery disc.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The recovery disc kit for the HP Pavilion dv7-1464nr laptop appears to be available here.

The HP support site for that laptop is available here.

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. Billy_Bob

Billy_Bob Thread Starter

Gee, thanks for the sales pitch. Now why would I pay them $27 plus shipping for copies when I can order OEM discs direct from HP for $14.00 with shipping (which I did).

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Your smart aleck comment wasn't necessary.

I referred you to the "Computer Surgeons HP Recovery Center" site as an alternative location to obtain the recovery disc kit because I wasn't sure if the "HP Customer Care" site still had it available for purchase because that laptop is over 3 years old.

-----------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1068721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice