1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Disk Failure!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sunhao, May 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sunhao

sunhao Thread Starter

Hi I got a big problem with my harddisk. It is so screwed up !! This didn't happen to me last week but this week it's failing like crazy. When I turn on the computer, the hard disk has a oozzing sound repeatedly for like 10 seconds, then it goes to windows, and after I enter my password and stuff, the oozing sound occurs again, and goes to the desktop. When I want to go to a folder or open a problem such as IE, the disk wiould do the same sound a few times (as if it's checking for something) and then open the application half way, do it a few more times, then open the whole application. During access, the same problem occurs for alot of times!! What's wrong?? All the connections inside the computer are ok and I didn't change any thing on the hard disk! Help!!

Thx.

2. brianF

brianF

How old is the drive, it sounds from your explanation that the drive is spinning up and down constantly. Could be the drive is going to fail. What make and model drive is it. Most hard drive manufacturers have a diagnostic utility you can download and run to check your drive out.

3. sunhao

sunhao Thread Starter

well this drive is around 3 years old it's 3 gigs and the manufacture is nec.

What do I have to do to fix this problem??

4. PC_DISK1

PC_DISK1

Iv never seen an NEC HDD. Are you more worried about the drive or the data? I would probably worry about the data. I would buy another HDD, and ghost the data to the new HDD. Good Luck

5. sunhao

sunhao Thread Starter

Well anyway. I went to safe mode and trhe computer runs pretty well. Maybe it's the drivers on the hard disk, I tried reinstalling win 98 but it wouldn't install because the drive's got some errors. I already have most of the data on the drive saved to a zip disk. And I tried formatting it, but it wouldn't format becuase it said "insufficient amount of memory!!!' Anyway when I was safe mode, I went to control panels and system. I found out that Drive A and C are using MS-Dos compatibility mode file system which reduces opver all system performance. Could that be the problerm? If now how can I format? Help!

6. brianF

brianF

You'll need to correct the ms-dos compatibilty mode driver issue, then scan and defrag and see how it works then. Check this article from microsoft on the problem HERE

7. sunhao

sunhao Thread Starter

Thanks for your help but it doesn't seem tohelp! The fact I have all my data ready and I want to format the drive to see if that solves the problem and the computer won't let me do so because there isn't enough memory!! This is not right because I havej 64 megabytes of mem in the computer! What is wrong here??

8. brianF

brianF

If your using the /s command don't, Just use format C:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/43688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice