1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HARD DISK FAILURE??????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alpha159, Aug 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alpha159

alpha159 Thread Starter

Hey,

This is a doosie (for me, anyway)

I have a Dell OmniPlex P133 with a WD 6GB working hard disk with Windows 98 installed.

On bootup, it gives me this:

Hard disk controller 0 Failure:
    Press F1 to continue or F2 for setup.

F1 gets me a disk boot failure.

Dell BIOS programs are really wierd. It does not have a hard drive autodetect program, but is does about 40 options for different hard drives, none of which come close to what I have. I tried to manually set the hard drive specifications, but this hard drive has roughly 13,000 cylinders, and the area only has space for 4 digits. The size is automatically determined by the computer according the how many cylinders the drive has.

I also have no idea how to get the Landing Zone Sector for my hard drive.

Any ideas?

[Edited by alpha159 on 08-16-2001 at 11:52 PM]

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is this the same computer that you were testing with the 3 different hard drives?

Are you sure about the model name? Is there a number?

Dell support says there is an auto detect in the setup for most of their models that I looked at.

3. cavp

cavp

Man, seems your HD has passed away... anyway, try changing the flat cable and check the position of the red wire; if this doesn't work, well, try to realize how the disk sounds when the machine boots up. Is there a "clicki, clicki" sound or just kind like a plane starting and after that some clicks? If it sound as i said first, the mechanics are dead. If it sounds well, then recheck all the connections. The Dell setup is (quite) weird, as you said, so don't mess up to much with it. Also try loading the default configuration. That's all for now

4. alpha159

alpha159 Thread Starter

No, this is not the same computer. Fixing computers is a hobby of mine, but sometimes I'm just plain stumped.

The hard drive is Western Digital model 36400
    Cyl: 13328
    Heads: 15
    Sectors: 63
    Size: 6.4486 GB

The BIOS does have an autodetect setting, but you have to reboot in order for it to actualy sense the hard drive.

I have already checked the cables and connections.

This is a WORKING hard drive. it boots just fine with another computer I have, but the Dell BIOS will not sense it. (it sound like a plane taking off)

5. ~Candy~

Ok, then, maybe I'm misunderstanding....if it has an autodetect, and you choose autodetect, save the changes in the bios, reboot the computer, is everything ok? Or are you having a problem with having to re-recognize it on every boot-up?

6. alpha159

alpha159 Thread Starter

Sorry, I phrased it wrong. the computer will not detect the hard drive when I choose autodetect, or any other setting for that matter.

7. ~Candy~

Is the hard drive connected to a controller card or does it go straight to the motherboard?

If you've been moving things around inside, make sure the hard drive is still jumpered as master, cables are secure, etc.

8. alpha159

alpha159 Thread Starter

Yes, all cables are secure.

Here's the wierd part. When the hard drive jumper is set to "master" it gives me the hard disk controller failure. When the hard drive is set to "cable select" it gives me an invalid system disk error.

This gets more complicated all the time, doesn't it?

9. alpha159

alpha159 Thread Starter

Update: When the setting is set to "cable select" or "single," the computer says that there is an invalid system disk. When that happens, the computer WILL sense the hard drive on a startup disk, unlike the "controller failure" settings.

10. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

With the WD as the only drive on the cable, try it without any jumpers in place.

11. alpha159

alpha159 Thread Starter

That's the "single" setting (see above).

12. ~Candy~

Is it going to a controller card or straight to the motherboard?

If it's going straight to the board, do you have a second ide connector on the board?

Also, is there a place in your bios where the IDE channels/controllers show enabled or disabled?

[Edited by AcaCandy on 08-18-2001 at 09:14 AM]

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/50948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice