1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard disk ide dps test failed and not booting.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dionrodrigues, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dionrodrigues

dionrodrigues Thread Starter

my computer was working fine for a few days and now one of my hard disk drives is not working and the ide dps test failed.
    what can i do with my drive?
    is there any way to recover it? any help would be appreciated.
    i get the error when i boot up until the windows logo it shows a blue screen and stop : 0x000000a5 .........etc.
    please help!!!! my compuuter is a hp compaq d530 sff with windows 7 and xp 2gb ram and the spoilt drive is a seagate 80 gb hard drive.

2. Frost_WD

Frost_WD Western Digital Representative

Hi dionrodrigues,

Is your PC new and have added any new components to it recently (RAM in particular)? The error code you are getting usually appears when there is new RAM installed. If you could upload the BSOD it would be helpful. Another thing to try would be reseating your RAM.
    As for your hard drive, I would suggest connecting it with different cables and in a different port. Afterwards, you could consider running a brand specific diagnostic tool on the disk to check its health. There are third party software solutions to be found online, however the once from the manufacturer provide the most accurate results as they are developed for such drive and know the firmware best. You can upload a screenshot of the SMART status after running an extended test. It would be best if can test the drive on a different PC with different SATA cables.
    If you manage to access the drive I strongly recommend doing a backup prior to any testing just to be on the safe side.
    If the drive has bad sectors it is recommended to change it, or if you use it – not to trust it with important information. Having regular backups is always a good idea ;)

Keep me posted,
    Frost_WD

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice