Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard disk is not detected when booting from external media

5K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  PeterOz 
#1 ·
My laptop Lenovo ideapad 3 15Itl6.
Computer has ssd 256 gb with Windows10 Home preinstalled from the manufacturer (OEM installation).
There is an additional 1 TB hard drive hdd for storing information.
I want to make a Windows backup using Acronis True Image.
Boot into the computer from the bootable Sergei Strelec USB flash drive, on which all the necessary programs for creating backups and working with disks are installed. But none of them can see the HDD. I have tried many other programs for creating backups and working with disks - Paragon WinPE, Acronis True Image Boot CD, Clonezilla, Active Boot PE, Aomei Backupper Boot Disk and many others, but none of them recognizes the HDD as if it were missing from the system.
I want to install Linux as a second system on my computer. However, Linux also does not see HDD, only SSD with preinstalled Windows10. This is the first time I come across such a problem. It has never happened before that a bootable USB flash drive does not recognize the disks installed in the system.
I can not understand what hides the hard disk when loading from the outside with bootable flash.

MiniTool Partition Wizard Technician sees as if the disks are connected via Raid. If the disks are really connected via Raid, then it is probably logical that when booting from an external bootable media, only one ssd is detected. Although, if the disks are combined in Raid, then the total size should be visible, but I can see only SSD and its real size (256gb). Tried disabling this raid using Aomei Dynamic Disk Manager but nothing changed.
I have tried converting HDD into MBR and reformat. This didn't fix the problem and converted to GPT back.
Now disk GPT style, with additional partition for Dism ++ recovery. But main problem not resolved - HDD not visible and not usable when booting from bootable flash. Also not visible and not usable for Linux installation - it's my main problem. In short, nothing is clear.
There is no any problem with standard boot on Windows. Windows correctly recognizes all the hardware installed in the system and gives access to the additional
HDD 1Tb.
The service refuses to acknowledge the problem. They say that if everything works from within Windows, then everything is fine. About Linux installation, it is said that the computer does not support Linux installation. But this cannot be true.

System Information:
Lenovo ideapad 3 15Itl6
Bios version: GGCN25WW
Processor: 11-th Gen intel i5-1135G7
Hard disk: ST1000LM035-1RK172
NVME SSD: WDC PC SN530 SDBPMPZ-256G-1101
Preinstalled Windows 10 Home on SSD.
Bios secure Boot: disabled
..... In this bios version missing option to choose legacy mode

Relevant printscreens by this link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mr3C3lomPpNlJ8V3Nq8lrWG-XaQISvCa?usp=sharing

I ask for help in solving this problem.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Not much help but might be part of the problem
The intel platform trust technology is set to enable in the Bios this is most likely stopping the legacy mode.
I do not know if you loose data if you disable it

This stops a hacker from removing the hard drive from your computer and trying to access its data by putting into another computer. From this link TMP

#5 ·
Honestly I do not know. I never use crap like that.
As I said I might not be much help but just something I can see, I do not know if that will help or not.
If you disable it I do not know what effect if any it will have on your drives.
Did you read the link

#8 ·
I am reading this link. It is not yet understood. I don't have much experience in computers and computer technology. It's hard for me to figure it out quickly. Therefore, I ask for help from those who understand.
Yes, i have access. Intel platform trust technology enale in my Bios. Need to carefully study if its possible to disable this option

#9 ·
#12 · (Edited)
Well I do not know about being good :giggle:
1 Is this external drive or housing raid or not; even jbod raid OR have you spanned drives in this housing?
2 Is this external housing or drive encrypted?
3 Have you tried connecting this external drive to a different system and what was the result?

#13 ·
The drive is not external. Computer configuration SSD 256Gb + HDD 1Tb inside from manufacturer.
Both drives not encrypted and secure boot in BIOS disabled. Don't tried to remove HDD 1Tb drive from computer and connect to another computer because its this is a new computer. I bought it 2 weeks ago. I don't want to violate the manufacturer's warranty.

#18 ·
Try BIOS>Configuration>Intel VMD Controller change to disable
F10to save and exit
Can you see 2nd hdd now.
With Intel VMD enabled, all PCI devices behind the VMD controller, for example, NVMe controller inside NVMe SSDs, will be invisible to the operating systems on the server.
(where VMD = Volume Management Device, PCI = Peripheral Component Interconnect, NVMe = Non-Volatile Memory express, SSD = Solid State Drive)
From this here Invisible device

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.