1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Disk is not detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by haniag, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haniag

haniag Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a 250GB Toshiba laptop hard disk that is not being detected by anything. Toshiba shipped my laptop with two partitions; the first is 1.5GB primary partition, and the other is just a logical one. I inadvertently deleted (not formatted, deleted!) the primary partition while trying to install Windows 7, and now whenever the computer starts up, the hard disk's light is constantly on, but nothing else happens on screen (just blank). Setup for Windows 98SE, 2000, XP and 7 can't see it. Also, I tried HDD Regenerator, but nothing happens at startup even though the light is constantly on.

If I try to simply connect that drive (as an external USB one), then Windows 7 detects that something is connected, but hangs up on trying to install its drivers.

I know that I messed up the hard drive because of a stupid mistake, but is there anyway to retrieve the info from the logical partition? Is there anything that can recreate a primary partition?

Thanks.

2. JackAlexander

JackAlexander

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do you have the recovery disks for your system?

4. haniag

haniag Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's input and time!

@JackAlexander: It's out of warranty, but I'll look into programs that might recover partitions.

@crjdriver: I have the Vista recovery disks. When I insert, the cd boots and i get a window that says "Windows is loading files" with a progress bar that goes all the way. Afterwards, I get the Vista progress bar (the same one on startup) that keeps playing forever. During that time, the HD light is constantly on, but nothing else happens.

I have a Phoenix MB, and it detects the HD in the bios. This might be nonsense, but could it be that the HD is trying to auto-recover the primary partition? And that's why the light is constantly on? As a last attempt, I might let it stay like that for a whole day to find out if anything happens.

Thanks.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have a board with a phoenix bios. That is not the brand of motherboard.

Download and run the drive maker's diagnostic for the disk. You download this from whomever made the disk ie seagate, WD, etc. This runs from bootable media so no need for an os to be installed. Run all tests both long and short. See how the disk checks out.

6. haniag

haniag Thread Starter

I found the solution:

I booted using Active Partition Recovery and went through all the prompts/warnings. I was able to see the disk with its partitions. One of them kept displaying "Error Reading sector #0 or Boot Sector is invalid". I exited, and reran the software like this: "pr.exe -ignoreMBR=80h". Then, I rediscovered the partitions manually, added them and recreated the MBR.

Afterwords, I can see the HD with its partitions in windows when connected externally. I dealt with the partition that kept giving me the error above by running GetDataBack, and I was able to copy all info to another HD.

Thanks a lot for everyone's help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/947030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice