Hard disk issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JekylHyde

Hi
i have a 2Tb internal sata3 hdd [WD green] for backups only
i connected it with a "sata to usb" connecter into my laptop's usb [laptop has vista]
i initialized it with the windows Disk Management tool
i copied about 500Gb into it
i connected it with sata into a home pc [win7] AND i got a freaky messege that i need to format it
i was afraid that i lost all my data so i connected it back to my laptop's usb & [i think] that all the data is ok
SO - why can't i see it with a home pc?

managed

Allan
Try connecting it to the Desktop with the 'sata to usb' adaptor.

How was the drive partitioned? Has it ever been connected to an XP machine?

DoubleHelix

Banned
The problem is that it's only working with the adapter. If it's a SATA drive, it should certainly work connected directly to a SATA connector on a motherboard.

I don't know what I'm supposed to infer from your screen shot.

JekylHyde

well... yah... this is the problem. tell me about it :)
the question is - how to make it work connected to a sata connector.

JekylHyde

this is the original post:

Hi
i have a 2Tb internal sata3 hdd [WD green] for backups only
i connected it with a "sata to usb" connecter into my laptop's usb [laptop has vista]
i initialized it with the windows Disk Management tool
i copied about 500Gb into it
i connected it with sata into a home pc [win7] AND i got a freaky messege that i need to format it
i was afraid that i lost all my data so i connected it back to my laptop's usb & [i think] that all the data is ok
SO - why can't i see it with a home pc?

noticed the bolded text? ;)

You said you initialized it in Disk Management. What MBR type did you choose?

After you initialized the drive, how was the drive partitioned and formatted? Was it done in Vista/7 or some other way?

Do you have any other SATA connectors to try it on? (Notice the "bolded" text, to use a word that doesn't exist?)

Try repartitioning it on the desktop. Use a different power connector. If it looks like it will hold data, then restore the files that you backed up.

Win7 and Vista use a new partition type, different from XP, but there was a "tweak" floating around for a while to revert Vista to create the old XP partitions. Do you recall ever using such a thing?

JekylHyde

You said you initialized it in Disk Management. What MBR type did you choose?

After you initialized the drive, how was the drive partitioned and formatted? Was it done in Vista/7 or some other way?

Do you have any other SATA connectors to try it on? (Notice the "bolded" text, to use a word that doesn't exist?)

Try repartitioning it on the desktop. Use a different power connector. If it looks like it will hold data, then restore the files that you backed up.

Win7 and Vista use a new partition type, different from XP, but there was a "tweak" floating around for a while to revert Vista to create the old XP partitions. Do you recall ever using such a thing?
mbr? i initialized it & quick formated it as ntfs while connected to my laptop usb adapter (so i didn't used this xp "tweak").
repartitioning it = all my data will be lost (& i don't have any place to move the files).
you think a new sata or power connector is the issue?

JekylHyde

god damn!!!
i don't belive it! :confused:
i managed to find someone with a lot of spare space in his hdd. i connected my 2Tb sata3 hdd with the "sata to usb" adapter into his usb connector & copied all the files to his hdd.
after that i connected the drive into his internal sata3 connector, formated the drive... & copied back all the data.

NOW..................
from his internal sata3 i can read the drive
from my home pc i can read the drive with the internal sata3 connector
BUT
from the "sata to usb" i can't read the drive at all!!! i can't backup things from my laptop into the drive!!! now when i'm connecting it with the adapter i get "format the drive"!!! :eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online