1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Disk Locked

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Mrcobra, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Hello all, I am hoping that someone can steer me in the right direction concerning this.

I am the local pc go to guy where I work and a friend gave me his ASUS laptop. When I turn it on this is what I get in a black and white screen

Press F12 if you want to boot from the network
    Press ESC for BIOS POPUP
    The MCH is operating with DDR2-667/CL5 in Dual channel mode

Cant detect TPM device !
    Intializing USB controllers...Done
    3072MB OK

Auto-Detecting AHCI Port 0..SATA Hard Disk
    Auto-Detecting AHCI PORT 1..ATAPI CDROM
    SATA PORT0 ST9320325AS 0002SDM1
    S.M.A.R.T. Capable and status ok
    SATA PORT1 MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ880AS 1.00
    AUTO-DETECTING USB Mass Storage devices..
    00 USB mass storage devices found and configured.

Hard Disk locked, enter master password:
    (Press <ESC> to skip)

I press ESC then get this
    Skipped..Hard Disk still locked!
    WARNING: Continue booting with this drive being locked might casue system to hanf with some OS.
    Hit Enter to continue..

I hit ENTER Then get this

Check cable connection!
    PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

Reboot and select proper boot device
    or insert boot media in selected Boot device and press a key

So now I am at a stand still and have no idea what to do..Hopefully someone is able to help me

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    It says can't detect tpm device. I know that tpm is used so that you cannot take a hard drive out of one computer and use it in another. Is that what is happening here?

3. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

I am not sure but I am trying to reach the owner.

UPDATE: I am not able to locate the owner at this time. I was able to get into the bios, not sure what I can do there lol.

ASUS ASUS LAPTOP K501J

4. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Well I am going to assume after doing some digging that this particular issue can not be resolved. I've read several different things concerning this issue and apparently the only solution I seem to find is replacing the Hard Drive.

5. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Well if it is a drive drive locked with tpm, you have to install the hard drive in the computer where it was. Is there a way to bypass this? Possibly. But even if there was, which I'm not sure, but today anything is possible, it would probably be a violation of the rules of the site to assist someone in doing something like this.

6. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

I understand. I am just trying to help a friend who knows nothing about computers. I would not suggest violating the rules of the site not too mention I would not even know where to look for something like that lol. At this point in time for my own knowledge I am trying to understand how this happens to a laptop, how to prevent it and what actually caused it all.

If I am correct it almost sounds like the hard drive is from another laptop. I even tried to use the restore disks that I have for this laptop but I receive an error message in red letters.

7. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Basically, some computers are equipped with TPM. I'm pretty sure you have to enable; it isn't turned on by default. This setting should be in the BIOS. What it does is looks at all of the hardware components: motherboard, cpu, etc. It takes note of what these are. When the computer boots, the TPM makes sure all these components match what it has previously recorded. If the components match, it allows the hard drive to boot. If not, then the hard drive won't boot. It is just a preventative measure so someone cannot take your hard drive out of the computer and use it elsewhere. So this is how it all happens and what caused it. How to prevent it is to either not turn on TPM or to not remove the hard drive to another computer.

You said he knows nothing about computers. So someone else had to have enabled it for him, because it isn't on my default. I will look this up to make sure.

8. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
  9. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the information. Very enlightening

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!