Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard Disk MP3 Player won't work, need to recover the data...

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  joshshailes 
#1 ·
I've got a Creative Nomad Zen Xtra, 40 gig version.
Well, it's messed up. It froze (No big deal, this happens alot), so I take the battery out. Usually this makes it reboot, and things go back to normal.
Well, this time, the Zen decided to be destroyed instead.
Whenever it starts up, I get four options:
1. Clean Up
2. Format all
3. Reload the OS
4. Reboot

1 does nothing, if I try 3 it says "Harddisk problem", 4 causes the MP3 player to reboot, but to no effect, as it just goes back to this screen.

I obviously haven't tried 2, as my entire objective is to recover the contents of the hard drive.

I've got LOTS of stuff on this Zen. (I bought a 40 gig Zen just so it could hold alot of stuff...), and I'd be extremely pissed if I had to lose it all.
Are there any ideas of what I could do to try and recover the contents of the drive? I'm willing to try anything.

The Zen's under warranty, so whatever happens, as long as I get a chance to back-up the hard drive (Which I probably should have done before now...), I can just then send it in to get a new one.

But I really need to get that data.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's pretty clear that you'll have to remove the drive to attempt to recover the data. If that can't be done without voiding the warranty, I don't know what to tell you.

If you remove the drive, you need a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter, normally available for $5-7 from a variety of on-line sources.

Connect it to your desktop as a secondary drive, and see if you can access it. It may be a foreign file system rather than FAT32 or NTFS, perhaps Linux, if so you may need one of the CD only Linux distributions to access it.

There are a number of data recovery packages that you could also consider if all else fails.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Johnwill!

Voiding the Warranty isn't a big issue with me. Besides, I can always bull**** and say I never took the hard-drive out.
I just want the data...

Do you have any suggestions as to particullarly good data recovery programs? Specific ones that are known to be the best? (Like, the Photoshop of Data Recovery?)

Hard Drive recovery is a relatively new field for me :/

#4 ·
Cormano said:
I've got a Creative Nomad Zen Xtra, 40 gig version.
Well, it's messed up. It froze (No big deal, this happens alot), so I take the battery out. Usually this makes it reboot, and things go back to normal.
Well, this time, the Zen decided to be destroyed instead.
Whenever it starts up, I get four options:
1. Clean Up
2. Format all
3. Reload the OS
4. Reboot

1 does nothing, if I try 3 it says "Harddisk problem", 4 causes the MP3 player to reboot, but to no effect, as it just goes back to this screen.

I obviously haven't tried 2, as my entire objective is to recover the contents of the hard drive.

I've got LOTS of stuff on this Zen. (I bought a 40 gig Zen just so it could hold alot of stuff...), and I'd be extremely pissed if I had to lose it all.
Are there any ideas of what I could do to try and recover the contents of the drive? I'm willing to try anything.

The Zen's under warranty, so whatever happens, as long as I get a chance to back-up the hard drive (Which I probably should have done before now...), I can just then send it in to get a new one.

But I really need to get that data.
I HAVE A NOMAD MUVO2 - NEED HELP

#5 ·
if you can somhow recover your music files.....please let me know how you did it. i have the same problem with the same mp3 player and gave the same forthought into backing up my music......i tried putting my hard disk into a usb housing but my computer doesnt recognise the file system or somthing. it see's the drive but just thinks it needs initilizing. let us know how you go. cheers

#6 ·
I lost the FAT on a hard drive that had around 3000 Mp3's on it one time. The HD didn't even show up in Explorer. I used a program called PowerQuest Lost and Found. I recovered all files and it also changed the file names from DOS back to the long version. Unfortunately I think this program only works up to Win98. Have you contacted Creative and asked for their advice? That reminds me, I have to burn some Mp3's over to CD-R..............Good luck

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.