1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Disk Nightmares

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newkidtopc, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newkidtopc

newkidtopc Thread Starter

Hello all,

I have two HDD.One Samsung (20 GB) (3 partitions ) as Primary Master and second Seagate(80 GB) (8 partitions) as Primary Slave.
    The trouble started when I decided to have a clean install of Windows XP.So I formatted my C: (on Samsung).Then installed Windows 98 (Did not know that XP could be installed in other ways).When Windows booted up for the first time it did not recognize my 80 GB HDD.It would say "Some devicce on your system uses both 16bit and 32bit drivers which is not supported etc.".Then i installed Windows XP from 98SE.In windows XP it would often say "Delayed Write to C: failed" etc.I could not figure out what the problem was.

Now I have my 80GB connected as Primary Master.Everything is now working fine.But my problems with 20 GB disk continue.Whenever I connect both drives together Windows hangs while booting.

I tried connecting 20 GB alone and repartitioning it and formatting it.But it could not write the partition table to disk.Similar errors were reported when I tried to install Linux on it.Linux gave I/O errors saying that ot had an invalid signature.

The Samsung utility says that the disk is all fine.But I am not able to get this disk working.

Please help.

Thanks in advance

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

How are the jumpers set on the harddrives?

If they're both set to master, then that would explain the hangup at boot.

The 80 should be set to master and the 20 should be set to slave.

Do you have a full install Windows XP CD or is it an upgrade CD?

Have you tried installign the 20gb hdd by itself and booting up from the WinXP CD and using the setup utility to repartition and format?

3. newkidtopc

newkidtopc Thread Starter

The jumpers are set right.I double checked it.

I have the full Windows XP CD.

I will have to give a try to your option.But my main concern was why should it fail while writing the partition table.

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice