Hard Disk not being auto-recognized by BIOS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stretchr

Hi all,

I know this is similar to at least one recent thread, but different enough to post.
I am upgrading my sister's machine from a 3.2Gb WD Caviar to a 40Gb Seagate U Series 5 drive, ST348023 from memory, ATA100.
The machine is running a K62 266, not sure of the Mobo, but obviously supports the AMD chip.
From what I have been able to glean from the Seagate site, this drive should be backwards compatible with any IDE connector, but when I stick it in, with the BIOS set to auto-detect all drives, the machine halts trying to detect the Seagate drive, although it will let me Ctrl-Alt-Del and also press Del to get into CMOS setup.
I have tried it as Primary Master, and as Primary Slave, both with the other HD on the same cable, and without it in at all.
Seagate's disk tools are able to detect that it is there, even when not setup in the BIOS. Seagate's disk wizard, which is an excellent tool for installing a new drive, told me that all I had to do was set BIOS settings to auto for that drive, and all would be rosy. It looks at what drive you have, what BIOS you have, and gives you instructions to suit. The documentation tells me that if the BIOS supports LBA and Large disk types, then all should be fine - it does.

Can anyone give me any ideas on what's going on? I have installed quite a number of hard drives in the past, but never come across anything like this.

Rich

Can you put the HD in another puter to see if that machine will recognize it? It might be a bad HD.

Ummmm....which cable are you using for the new drive? Did you by chance install the new 80 pin cable instead of leaving the old 40 pin cable in?

stretchr

Can't put it in another computer right now - would the Seagate tools (both DiskWizard and the tool which changes from UATA100 to UATA66/33/25 etc) see the drive if it was bad? They saw it, so I assume it's ok.

I'm using the old 40 pin cable - it didn't come with an 80pin one.

Does your motherboard BIOS support ATA100? Just try and toggle it back to 66 with the utility supplied and see what happens.

stretchr

No, the BIOS doesn't support ATA100, seeing it is at least 2 years old. I have toggled it back to both 66 and 33 with no change.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts