1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Disk not detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sonny_guy, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sonny_guy

sonny_guy Thread Starter

Hi!
    I'm using a system with specifications : 3GHZ Processor, 512MB DDR2 RAM, 120GB IDE Hard Disk, Asrock Motherboard, DVD Writer, Windows XP Professional. My Hard Disk is connected as Primary Master & DVD Writer as Secondary Master. My Problem is when I try to connect another 120GB IDE Hard Disk (without an OS) as Primary Slave the system hangs on boot screen and has to be restarted. Sometimes it boots but does not detect the 120GB Disk.The case is the same even if it is connected as Secondary slave.I have checked all jumper settings. I also tried connecting the disk to an external USB casing, the problem persists. If the same disk is connected as Primary Master (after installing Windows XP on it), it works fine. How do I solve this problem?? Please Help

Thanks
    Sonny guy...

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What do you see in BIOS setup? Is that channel set to autodetect or None?

3. johnmarsh200783

johnmarsh200783

i have a motherboard model;(8s648fxp)...
    i have a sata hard..but i cant set the sata hard on my mother board an set windows on it
    ....i cant make the floppy for known sata hard from cd of motherboard
    pleas help me to set my hdd:(

4. Soundy

Soundy

sonny, try setting both for Cable Select (CS jumper)?

john, you need to start a separate thread for your question...

5. bmacaveli

bmacaveli

i'd definitely set both to cs, thats usualy the only way i use mine...then u can do anything off both drives if u want...multi boot and all... make sure it shows up in the bios before doing anything with windows though.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Check into the controller settings in the bios to see if there is some priority for ide drive or sata can be given priority etc. I have seen some less expensive boards where no matter what I did I could not cure this until I added a pci controller card.

7. johnmarsh200783

johnmarsh200783

sorry for dif question,,,,,

8. StellarPlacebo

StellarPlacebo

RE: I also tried connecting the disk to an external USB casing, the problem persists.

What does it do if you plug in the hdd as master via usb external casing when the system is 'already running'?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/615071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice