1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard disk not getting detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dx57, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dx57

dx57 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I own a HP Pavilion dv1000, the problem is the hard disk is getting detected in the BIOS but at the boot menu screen fades blank and also the hard disk activity led is not glowing there after(the hard disk activity led flashes when only when power is turned on/off and not at any other instance.).

Its a SATA disc drive.
    I bought a SATA BOX and tried connecting it to my other laptop but the drive is not getting detected , though the LED on the SATA BOX connected to hard disk is green (assuming green signifies working).

I also used USBDeview to see if it can detect the drive connected on the USB but it wasn't detected :( .

If it can be of any help here are few specifications:

Capacity : 80GB
    SN : 5PK0TZGS
    Model : ST98823AS
    PN : 9W3183-021
    FW : 3.05

Vol : +5v , 0.48 A

I have some very important data which wasn't backed up on it , any comments would be of immense help.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Determine the brand name of the drive. Download the drive manufacturer's testing utility, preferably a utility that runs from a bootable CD. Place the drive back into its original computer. Turn the computer on and place the bootable test CD into the computer's CD drive and restart the computer again. Run the tests and let us know your result.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/967937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice