1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Disk Not Recognized at Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by onlyshallow, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onlyshallow

onlyshallow Thread Starter

Hello everyone. As of last night my HP dv6000 with Windows 7 won't start. At boot, it gives the message:

PXE-E61: media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

I researched this problem and found that this message appears when there is no apparent source for booting an OS. This is commonly either because the hard drive isn't connected properly, or the boot order is disorganized in the BIOS, but neither are the case here.

When I run a boot disk, my hard drive is recognized and passes every integrity test. However, the Windows 7 install disk does not show any storage locations (neither my internal hard drive or any external ones I have connected to test) - except, for some reason, when I choose to browse for a driver for hardware, and then my internal hard drive (and external devices I plug in) appear intact and fully navigable. Again, that's only in the submenu of browsing for drivers that is an option after the Windows installation process fails to recognize any storage media.

Any ideas why my computer doesn't notice the hard drive when booting, but seems to in every other scenario I can test?

2. Hughv

Hughv

Does this drive appear in the BIOS?
    What boot disk are you using?

3. onlyshallow

I don't see it in the BIOS, and I'm using the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test disc that I found in another thread.

4. Hughv

Hughv

Strange.
    I assume this is a SATA drive, so look in the BIOS for RAID/IDE options.
    Usually, if you can't see a drive in the BIOS, you can't find it anywhere.

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If the BIOS cant see the harddrive at all then that isn't a good sign, it could be an indication that the drive has physically died!

As Hughv said, have a look for the RAID/IDE, maybe under SATA options, and set it to IDE if you can and see if that makes a difference.

6. onlyshallow

Sorry for the slow response, I can only check this forum when I can borrow someone's computer. My BIOS doesn't appear to have any options for RAID/IDE, I can only enable or disable SATA, and neither setting helps my computer start.

Although nothing in the BIOS shows information about my hard drive, for some reason if I run the BIOS's hard disk test the test runs with "successful" results.

I really appreciate everyone's help. This is a weird problem that I should probably give up on soon

7. Hughv

Hughv

Replace the data cable. This is a cheap and easy troubleshooting step.

8. onlyshallow

I don't have the means to swap out the internal cables right now, but I did have one other idea.

When I run the Windows 7 startup disk, no storage media show up on the list of places where windows can be installed - it's completely empty. But, like I said, when I browse for a driver in the same install disk, in the popup window for browsing for files every disk shows up with all files intact, both my internal C:\ drive and my external hard drive or flash drive if they are connected. If the problem is just with my internal hard drive, why don't external storage devices at least show up on the list of places Windows 7 can be installed? When I installed it in the first place, my external hd was on the list. It's a western digital drive from a couple of years ago that every system can recognize without installing a driver, so I'm curious why that doesn't show up. If I could install windows on there, I wouldn't mind using that to make my computer usable in some way for a while.

9. Hughv

Hughv

You can't install windows to an external drive.
    What is the boot order in the BIOS? Make sure your HD is on the list.
    I think we're missing something here because this is very odd.

10. onlyshallow

My boot order is:

CD/DVD
    USB Diskette on Key
    USB Floppy
    USB Hard Drive
    Notebook Hard Drive
    Network Adapter [Disabled]

I've tried playing around with this a little but it doesn't seem to change much

11. Hughv

Hughv

Are you not able to select the internal drive?
    If so, there is something wrong with this drive and it should be replaced.
    Replace the cable, check the connections.

12. aks88

aks88

Change the order to
    CD/DVD
    Notebook Hard Drive
    USB Hard drive

then see what happens

13. onlyshallow

I had assumed that "notebook hard drive" meant internal drive. I don't have any replacement cables but I'l try that when I can.

I tried this with no change. I left the USB hard drive disconnected when testing most things anyway.

14. Hughv

Hughv

My bad. Notebook drive is the internal drive.

15. aks88

aks88

Do you get any list when you press F9 or F12 when the system is switched on?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/962911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice