1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard disk not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darrinrogers, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darrinrogers

darrinrogers Thread Starter

I got a virus, had to reinstall OS. Turn everything back on and one of my drives doesn't show up. I find it in disk management but it's only a 1tera and it's showing up as 80gb unallocated, 23gb unallocated, 811gb healthy (primary Partition) but that one has no file system listed, nor does it give me any other options than properties and help. A second primary 260 gb healthy primary partition that is the same as the former, then another 16gb unallocated. It's only a 1 tera drive so something is wrong here. I suck at backup and have some important stuff on there. Anybody know what I am looking at here? Thank you.

2. Sponsor

3. darrinrogers

Researching has led me to a possible MBR problem, I'll post if I fix it.

4. darrinrogers

All kinds of help out there on how to fix the OS drive, but can't find anything on how to repair a non-os drive. Does that mean I'm looking for something different than MBR?

5. nickgr5

nickgr5

Regarding the backup-thing, use a Linux Live CD (like Ubuntu, http://ubuntu.com) to access your hard drive and copy your data to an external hard disk or USB sticks. Do it in case anything goes wrong.

Now, I have to tell you that your hard drive is fully recognised and running fine, it seems though that it's split into three partitions. Did you use many partitions while re-installing your OS?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you install to the wrong partition? Drive letters are not permanent and change according to what is looking at them from where. If you chose your partition by letter, you may have installed to the wrong one. But you had the options for partitioning during setup and only you know what you chose and did.

Can you post a picture of Disk Management?

What is "not recognized"? You haven't mentioned the missing drive. If it appears in Disk Management, it is recognized.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice