1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard disk Partition Query

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by faiz, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Need some advice !

My config :-

Amd 450
    Asus p5ab Mboard
    256 mb ram
    8.4 gb seagate hdd
    operating system win98

I have partitioned my hard drive( fdisk) equally into C" and D " drive . All my programs and important information is on the C" drive and the games on the D' drive . Couple of months back I observed that the the D' drive has developed bad sectors and in due course they multiplied since I am out of the warranty period I tried to get help from techguy and I was rightly advised to replace the drive since it would get bad eventually.

Now I am not using the home computer a lot and the D' drive is empty , the space of the C ' drive is good enough for me .

a friend advised me to delete the extended dos partition so that the D ' drive is totally out and I can use c' drive as the only one.

I did an Fdisk and deleted the logical dos drive in the extended dos partition and then deleted the extended dos partition.

Now I have done this today , just wanted your advice is it ok to do this . My computer doesn't hang on booting as before( due to the bad sectors I used to get a hard disk diagnosis fail error, and I had to go into safe mode then again restart and on and on) and no unnecessary resets or reboots required.

please advise

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If it allows you to boot up then it's obviously ok to do it but you need to seriously consider replacing the harddrive. If it's got bad sectors on one part of the drive, it's most likely only a matter of time before the drive starts to get errors on the entire drive. It's anyone guess how long you could run it before it goes completely bad. It may be days, months or years. Obviously the best solution is to replace the drive before it goes completely bad but on the other hand, if you don't use the PC very much and you have any data you really need backed up, then keep running it till it does go completely bad and then replace the drive.

3. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

thanks bryan.
    I thought I had goofed up.
    Its all very clear now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice