1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard disk partitions "disappearing" and "reappearing"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by luke123a, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luke123a

luke123a Thread Starter

Hi

A 3.5" external hard drive connected to my Windows XP machine via USB 2.0 has a "disappearing" and "reappearing" partition problem.

After the external drive is turned on, all four partitions on it will be displayed. Very soon, they will all disappear in Windows Explorer. After a brief moment, they will reappear along with a USB-symbol icon in the taskbar, which brings up a "Hi-speed USB Device Attached to non-Hi-speed Hub" warning suggesting that I use free Hi-speed USB ports (indicated in bold).

My computer's USB ports are all USB 2.0 and I've tried attaching the external drive to different ports on the machine, all with the same result.

Would anyone hazard a guess as to the likely cause of this problem:
    (1) Failed (or failing) USB controller on the external enclosure?
    (2) Failing power supply to the xeternal enclosure?
    (3) Corrupted partition table on the drive?
    (4) Failed (or failing) USB controller on the mobo?
    (5) Any other cause?

The enclosure also has an eSATA port. When connected via eSATA (or USB 2.0) to another computer, no such problem appears.

Thanks in advance!

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

xp will loose drives when its having problems accessing them probably due to the usb 2.0 , a pci adapter would be better for you

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/949039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice