1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Disk Rapidly Losing Free Space

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Speez0, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speez0

Speez0 Thread Starter

EDIT:I think I solved the problem. It was something caused by Registry Mechanic, creating this massive .xml document for some unknown reason. I uninstalled reg mech and things seem to be back on track.

I'm not entirely certain if this is a malware issue so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I did browse around the forums looking for a similar issue and discovered This Thread. But it doesn't seem to have been fully solved yet and we are on different OSs. ANYWAYS, here's the problem:

I have a 1Tb HDD with roughly 242Gb of free space. Last night I decided to get on my computer and immediately I notice that I'm receiving pop ups alerting me that drive C is running low on free disk space. I check to see what I'm woirking with and my computer tells me that I have less than 1Mb remaining on C. That was pretty alarming.

After running disk cleanup, Spybot S&D, Registry Mechanic, Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes and came up with little to no results I decided to reboot and hope that it would miraculously work itself out. Upon logging in I noticed that I had my 242gb of free space back! The joy came to soon, however, as I kept checking back on my disk space and noticing between 3-5Gb vanishing every few minutes.

After struggling with that for a while I decided to just shut it down and sleep on it for the night. This morning I disconnected my computer from my ethernet connection before booting it up just to see if maybe whatever was filling my space was using my net connection to do so. Alas, after a few minutes of idling I got to again witness my 242gb start diminishing. So I reconnected my ethernet and here I am!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1012850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice