Hard disk space problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tazie

Hi
I have this vierd problem that i cannot delete files from my hard drive. or... i can delete them but windows xp doesn`t understand it so deleting files dont free any hdd space. so my hard drives just keeps filling up, but without me beeing able to free more space! I have had this problem one before and then i tried to format, the windows partition and reinstal windows. But that didnt work so i had to format ALL my partitions and lose all of my files. Therefore i suspect it to maybe be a virus or so, but my computer is well protected and noe virus/spyware programs ect. find anything.. does anyone know what this is and how to resolve it without formatting everthing?

Regards tazie

tazie

iwe tried that on all partitions exept two, cause i dont have enaugh free disk space :p

dai

i keep windows on the first partition so when i format i dont lose everthing
you should be able to format the windows partition without interfereing with the rest
what op.sys. are you using
with xp boot from xp cd and choose install and let windows format C partition only

Try turning off System Restore and if that doesn't delete all your previous restore points, do it manually. That should stop Windows carefully keeping copies of everything you delete and free up enough hard drive space (hopefully 15%) to enable you to defrag. Then it's just a question of doing it again once a month - oh and deciding whether to bother to put SR back on.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts