1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard disk space problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tazie, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tazie

tazie Thread Starter

Hi
    I have this vierd problem that i cannot delete files from my hard drive. or... i can delete them but windows xp doesn`t understand it so deleting files dont free any hdd space. so my hard drives just keeps filling up, but without me beeing able to free more space! I have had this problem one before and then i tried to format, the windows partition and reinstal windows. But that didnt work so i had to format ALL my partitions and lose all of my files. Therefore i suspect it to maybe be a virus or so, but my computer is well protected and noe virus/spyware programs ect. find anything.. does anyone know what this is and how to resolve it without formatting everthing?

Regards tazie

2. dai

dai

defrag

3. tazie

tazie Thread Starter

iwe tried that on all partitions exept two, cause i dont have enaugh free disk space :p

4. dai

dai

i keep windows on the first partition so when i format i dont lose everthing
    you should be able to format the windows partition without interfereing with the rest
    what op.sys. are you using
    with xp boot from xp cd and choose install and let windows format C partition only

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Try turning off System Restore and if that doesn't delete all your previous restore points, do it manually. That should stop Windows carefully keeping copies of everything you delete and free up enough hard drive space (hopefully 15%) to enable you to defrag. Then it's just a question of doing it again once a month - oh and deciding whether to bother to put SR back on.

6. tazie

tazie Thread Starter

thanks saga, that worked :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice