1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Disk Usage

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JMBerg, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JMBerg

JMBerg Thread Starter

My HDD running at times and I don't see much usage for anything in the Task Manager. Is there a program utility that I can use to show what specific programs are using the HDD at that time? I've tried the Performance usage utility in the Control Panel, Administrative Tools and it shows the heavy usage but not which programs are involved that I can find.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. JMBerg

JMBerg Thread Starter

Thanks for that Blues. When I opened it I thought it looked familiar and found that I had it loaded already. I had never taken the time to read the help section and figure out how to see what part is referring to the hard disk usage so I'll finally do that. I see the PID, the CPU, Private Bytes and Working Set but all that seems to change is the CPU. I'll read and see what I can learn.
    Thank you.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Everything you see running is using your hard drive. All those processes are running programs stored on your hard drive.

What exactly are you looking for?

5. JMBerg

JMBerg Thread Starter

Yes, I know everything is on the hard disk but what I mean is there are times when my disk shows it's running, programs won't respond but the CPU shows very little usage. I found one of the tabs on the main menu of Process Explorer, System Info, shows a moving graph that will show the peaks and if I cursor over them individually it shows the program. I'm hoping that will tell me what I want to know.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's CPU usage. If CPU usage is low, looking at the details of CPU usage won't tell you why hard drive activity is high. I don't have a solution for you on Windows XP. Windows 7 has great built-in utilities to monitor this stuff. Another reason to upgrade.

7. JMBerg

JMBerg Thread Starter

Thanks again Helix. But I like XP so much!!! Okay I'll think about upgrading. Since I ran that Glary Utilities this morning it seems like the HDD light is not on much. Maybe it found the problem. Is Glary okay by you guys?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1013169

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice