1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Disk won't boot on its own

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by l3iodeez, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. l3iodeez

l3iodeez Thread Starter

This morning I shut down my pc when I left for work. when I came home and turned it on it would not boot, it hung at the flashing cursor screen where it waits for boot media. I booted the Ultimate Boot CD, and used the "Boot first hard drive" option and it started right up. Seems to be working fine but this has me worried. I am running XP pro. Is there anything I can do to reassure myself ? (other than backing up all my data which I am doing now)

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Unclear from your post if xp boots now without the cd.

Make sure you are virus free
    Check for disk corruption by running chkdsk /f
    Go into recovery console and run the utilities fixboot and fixmbr if you still have issues booting.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Possibly some damaged or missing startup files.

Go to Folder Options and unhide all files (system files, too).

Look in C: and see if ntdetect, ntldr, and boot.ini are present. Open boot.ini in Notepad and post the contents here.

Also check your drive. Go to Start > Run, and type:

chkdsk /r

Answer "Y" and reboot to let the disk check run.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice