1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by urs, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. urs

urs Thread Starter

hi guys
    i have a harddisk of 10 gb now i decided to upgrade it i bought a new harddisk(40 gb), i made this drive as the salve to the previous one . First it was showing me aroung 38,000+ mb in the fdisk command. The person who was upgrading said that he will partition it in 4 diff drives. The partition did well for the first 2 times but when he tried for the third time he wasnt able to get it. He was getting some error msg(sorry i dont know that error msg).So he deleted all the partiotion, formatted it . And when we came back to Windows it is showing us just 31.4 gb(32153 mb) now where as the rest of space gone. So i decided it to scan it.ScanDisk normally shows 12,00,000+ cluster all the drives what ever is thier size. But for this drive it is just showing 10,00,000+.
    now i dont know what the problem is plzz help me

2. Rockn

Rockn

If it is showing 38GB then that is fine. 1 MB = 1048 bytes. The other thing is that it is impossible to delete a partition and format it. He has to create the partitions first and then format them. He probably did something wrong the first time and left some space on the drive that wasn't partitioned at all. The cluster sizes are dependant on weather you are using FAT16 or FAT32 for your partitions.

3. urs

urs Thread Starter

i am using fat 32
    and it is not showing me 38 gb
    it is only showing me 31.4 gb
    what do i do to get my space back

4. Rockn

Rockn

I would go into FDISK and see if he left off partitioning part of the drive. Open a DOS window and type FDISK at the prompt. Select Y for large disk support and then select option 4 to display partition info. The percentages should add up to 100%. What size did he make each of the partitions??

5. urs

urs Thread Starter

hi
    i check it out
    it show no partition at all. bcause he deleted them all when he had problem during the 3 partition
    This fdisk shows me usage of 100%
    and when he made the partition he just typed 25%

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice