1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive 6gb/s vs. 3gb/s

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robfalcon501, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robfalcon501

robfalcon501 Thread Starter

I wanted to get a new hard drive with the 6 gb/s speed, but i've read it's not really a difference. I wanted some opinions

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

If its a mechanical disk, don't worry about it; they won't be fast enough to utilize that kind of thruput.
    If its a SSDrive, some of the cutting edge ones are getting up to that 3 gigabit per second limit. Right now 6 gb/s controllers are more of a future-proofing because SSDs are still getting faster.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So a 6Gb/s SATA controller with a 6Gb/s hard drive attached will perform exactly the same as a 3Gb/s controller and drive?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Mech hard drives are limited to approx 100mps transfer speed. No matter what controller you use, you are not going to see any more performance. The only thing that comes even close to the theoretical speed limit is a ssd drive. As they improve, you may see a use for the new sata3 controllers. My current ssd drive has a max speed of 285mps or so.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/993280