1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard drive "Access Denied" in Vista with dual boot configuration

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by VisionAE, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VisionAE

VisionAE Thread Starter

Here is my situation. I have 2 hard drives. C:, which is where I have Windows XP installed and D:, where I have various music, movies and games installed. Basically D: is my storage drive.

I decided to set up a dual boot configuration with Windows XP and Vista Ultimate. As I said Windows XP was already installed on C:. I used partition magic to reduce C:'s size so I would have enough space to create a new partition on the XP drive for Vista. I created it and installed Vista fine and now I can choose whether I load XP or Vista on startup.

Vista seems to be running fine however when I open explorer I encounter a problem. C:, which in Vista is the main partition displays and can be accessed fine. D:, which is the main partition for XP (and is displayed as C: when booting in XP) displays and can be accessed fine. E:, which is the storage drive I mentioned (displayed as D: when booting in XP) earlier is named Access Denied in Vista. When I click on it in explorer it says Access Denied. When in XP all drives and partitions display and can be accessed fine. When in Vista, all drives and partitions except E: (D: when in XP) display and can be accessed fine.

I have read in some forums that I should "take ownership" of E: (in Vista) and that will allow me access. As I understand it this would then deny me access to it while in XP and that is obviously not good because the reason I chose to dual boot is so I can access everything from both operating systems.

There has to be a way to make Vista able to read E: (D: in XP) without cutting off XP's access to it. Some setting I'm not seeing. The internet seems to have a lot of Access Denied Vista posts but none really address my specific problem and no solutions are listed either way.

Any help is appreciated.

2. VisionAE

VisionAE Thread Starter

Wow...just wow. Disabled User Account Control and everything works fine. What an awesome "feature."

3. ojdidit84

ojdidit84

How did you disable User Account Control?
    I'm having the exact problem you were and I can't find where to disable this feature...

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You could also give ownership of the drive to "Everyone".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/624596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice