1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hard Drive Access

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by techmaster85, Apr 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techmaster85

techmaster85 Thread Starter

I have two hard drives. One, my C drive, is a SSD and is fast. The other drive D is my data drive. I find this is slow to load files. From Word and Excel files to music playlists, the delay can be anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds. This didn't used to be the case. The drive has been scanned for viruses, clean. SFC and Chkdsk, both good. Defragmented, and all is good there. Can't seem to figure it out. Ironically if I need to pull up an excel file its slow on initial load, then loads a different Excel file faster the second time. The disk is set to never go to sleep, so it should always be spinning.

Have not been able to pin this down to anything in particular. Any help is appreciated.

2. valis

valis Moderator

if your d drive isn't an SSD, it simply will not match speeds.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

There are two possible reasons.
    as Valis implied, even though the platters don't necessarily spin down, the heads will likely get parked so will take time to move to the correct track. The second file is likely to be in a/the buffer after the initial read and therefore effectively in memory.

4. techmaster85

I understand an SSD is much faster than an HDD, but I refuse to believe it could be that slow...

5. valis

valis Moderator

5 seconds is slow? You may be in for a rude surprise.......

how much ram do you have in that rig?

6. techmaster85

Its about 10 seconds when launching a word document from Explorer

I've got 4GB installed

7. DaveBurnett

I would schedule a surface scan on that disk to run overnight, just to check it out.

8. techmaster85

I have no idea what you mean by a "surface scan". You mean use a program like PC Doctor?

9. DaveBurnett

chkdsk /r scan for and attempt to recover bad sectors
    This will say it cannot run because the disk is in use and ask if you want to schedule fo the next restart.
    Say YES then when you have finished for the night RESTART your machine as the scan will take a LONG time.
    Leave it running overnight.

10. techmaster85

I've done that. No issues found. Please read my original post

11. DaveBurnett

This is a Surface scan, which I doubt you did or you would have said so. A surface scan tests each physical sector to check that the disk material hasn't been damaged and will take several hours on a reasonable sized disk.

12. techmaster85

I did chkdsk /r for the d drive. It took several hours and found no issues..

13. techmaster85

I also did a error checking through my computer, no errors.

Word and Excel still take about 10 seconds to load a file from Explorer or within the program

14. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    What I can only think of is to move all your documents you have in your hard drive into another hard drive and reformat the hard drive (d drive) and put back all the documents back into it. I know it is a lot of work but maybe you might have some luck. I have had twice that problem with one of my hard drives that was acting weird and once I formatted it the problem was solved.

15. techmaster85

Ya, I'll probably go buy another hard drive and just retire this one. They aren't that exepnsive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice